Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I edit the songs the whole world sings

     I'm not a big "chick flick" person, nor do I fare easily into mindless movies whose stars are better suited for their known television roles. However, I just finished watching Suburban Girl with Sarah Michelle Gellar and Alec Baldwin. It is a fairly recent movie, only having a slow decline into premium cable viewership. I've honestly not heard about it until catching a random five minutes a couple weeks ago. Having rented it, it got lost among the saved pile. Today was the first time I got to watch the film, in its entirety, on the same channel I caught it originally.

     The premise of the film takes us to New York, where a fledgling associate editor to a publishing company (Gellar) stumbles upon an often misguided May-December romance with a rival firm's powerhouse CEO (Baldwin). There were times where it was a little droning, but as a whole, the movie was halfway decent. Hearty one liners mixed well with the bold undertones (often set a little heavy in some places) of the old "this age difference really is the problem".  Without ruining the movie for people who'd want to see this, I think that in the end, it plays nicely with the general public's view on relationships, jobs, and life as we know it. From a scale of one to ten, I'd give this a five and a half, boarding 6.


Suburban Girl via IMDB