Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Saturday, January 20, 2024

It's iguana plop-plop weather!

As I've previously mentioned, it's been "cool enough" in southwest Florida, that we have our windows open. Lately, we're talking 50s in the morning and by 3pm, it's 70. 

As I write this, it's 55° out and would be a "bring yer hoodie!!" day while doing errands. Even though the longer you live here, the more apt you are to be bundled from head to toe as if it's the snow that's coming later due to it being -4 in places. Trust me, I've seen it before. The people wearing down jackets, long pants, mittens, thick sneakers, wooly hats... I'm sweating just thinking about it. Yet there are also people who wear shorts, sneakers, a t-shirt, jacket and no hat, and are fine with it. It's all dependent on what you're doing and how fast you're walking (outside of how fat you are. LOL). 

Anyway, under normal circumstances, the rare occasion that it gets between 40 and 60, the news reports talk about the falling iguanas and to be mindful of them. 

Yes, there's such a thing as falling iguanas.

The big dudes with the long (sometimes spiked) tails hang out in the trees. There's a picture or two of them somewhere on my blog. I just don't remember when I added it. They sleep in the trees and night and wander around during the day. The height advantage warms them up before they can take a walk. 

So when it's "below freezing" by Florida standards, the iguanas go into a state of shut down and paralysis. They end up falling from the trees and landing on the ground. They're not hurt from the fall, but they do make a plop when they hit the grass. 

Instead of it "raining cats and dogs", Florida rains lizards in the cold. 

The places that are keen to having the reptiles in their trees probably have speed bumps in the grass right now, but allegedly it's going to get worse over night and into tomorrow, as the news reports this morning it'll be in the 30s in the morning. 

Am I still too far south to see snow??? 

I don't know what's worse - knowing big iguanas hang out in trees and on cold snaps can fall on you if you're not careful, or the fact people are reporting we're going to feel 35° this weekend. 

Sure, it's dropped to 45 a couple times, but I haven't seen anything below that since we moved here. I thought Florida was year round tropics? This definitely blows Tay's opinion out of the chunky monkey iguana tree, for sure. 

The humidity is gone, but the New England fall has decided to pay a visit?

At any rate, where ever you are, keep safe and warm. I've got to wrap this up because I am due to go out and shop with someone in less than an hour. They need my help with electronic stuff and want me to go with them to buy things. 

Until this place gets itself sorted...


Cheers;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!