Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Saturday, February 17, 2024

It's already the middle of February...

... and the hearts have been packed away in stores to make room for the sale of the original men who ran the country

Although, while shopping at the Big Red Bullseye store (Target) today, they were putting Easter stuff out. Totally bypassing St. Patrick's Day. I mean, I think Irish Eyes come smiling before a furry white rabbit delivers chocolate candies for the good little boys and girls this year. I could be wrong. 

This being the start of another crazy couple months, I've also started listening to new podcasts at work. Well, not "new" per se, just series from some of the other companies I've previously listened to. 

For example, The Slate Group ("Slate") has a political show called Slow Burn. Each year is something different - Watergate, Clinton Impeachment, Biggie and Tupac, David Duke, The Road to the Iraq War, The L.A. Riots, Roe v Wade, Becoming Justice Thomas. The seasons dive deep into whatever the theme of the season is, and has a lot of interviews and conversations. 

I'm pretty much caught up with this, so I've started One Year. According to Amazon, the synopsis of the podcast is "The people and struggles that changed America—one year at a time. In each episode, host Josh Levin explores a story you may have forgotten, or one you’ve never heard of before. What were the moments that transformed politics, culture, science, religion, and more? And how does the nation’s past shape our present?". Because they shift things around, the first two seasons aren't technically a decade or year. Just something pulled from history and talked about (Ruby Ridge, for example). I'm now on 1995 and am close to finishing it. 

I forgot about a couple of things that happened "in my youth" and am reminiscing as I listen to it all, even though there are some things I didn't know at the time (like the episode about "The Spot", which is about "aspiring filmmakers created the first ever soap opera on the Web. Hollywood saw it as the future of entertainment. But a fan-led revolt showed that interactivity sometimes has a price. This week, Evan Chung explains the rise and fall of The Spot". This didn't seem to make its way in to my realm of teen stuff, so it's definitely new to me). 

The rest of the links is stuff I've accumulated recently and have written down in case I end up deleting it and wondering if I listened to it 2 years from now.... solely based on the fact I've done that before. I've deleted series when I'm done and then wonder what I've previously listened to since Apple doesn't seem to keep a history. You have to keep the podcast in your library if you want to know, regardless of whether or not you're done with it. 

Decoder Ring, which is "about cracking cultural mysteries. In each episode, host Willa Paskin takes a cultural question, object, or habit; examines its history; and tries to figure out what it means and why it matters". Hearing some of the ads for it, I'm willing to give it a try. 

* Out of boredom, The Osbournes Podcast because I stumbled on a video short of an episode the other day. What the hell; might as well take a peak at it. And yes, "Those Osbournes"... as in Ozzy, Sharon, Jack and Kelly. 

* Scrolling around, I've found The Salem Witch Trials Podcast: "a fast-paced and episodic examination of the witch hysteria in Salem, Massachusetts in 1692. Each brief yet insightful episode harnesses the knowledge of an expert to help illuminate both the chronology of events as well the deeper context surrounding the hysteria, giving listeners an understanding of this fascinating and tragic event in early American history."

Edith! - "Rosamund Pike stars as Edith Wilson in "Edith!" a scripted comedy podcast exploring the untold true-ish story of America's secret First Female President. After President Woodrow Wilson suffered a massive, paralyzing stroke in the White House, Edith Wilson did the unthinkable: she told no one. And for almost a year following the end of World War I, Edith Wilson acted as the de facto unelected President. She would sign documents as him. She would fire people as him. She would even cause international incidents as him. And all along the way, enemies both internal and external, inched closer to finding out her secret."

Bad Vibes - "The ultimate horror anthology for the ears. Hello there, my frightful friend. It’s your old pal Mr. Boogey (Justin McElroy). I’m so glad you stopped by. Every week I will tell you a story in exchange for your fear. For dread and terror is the sweet, sweet, sustenance I crave and I am very hungry. Each weekly tale is more chilling than the next and as always I will be there to lead you in and out of the darkness. So take a break and join me won’t you? I promise you won’t live to regret it :). Tah-tah."

Play On Podcasts - "Play On Podcasts are epic audio adventures reimagining timeless tales, featuring original music composition and the voices of extraordinarily gifted artists. This is where Theatre meets Podcast, combining the modern-day audio phenomenon with the power of live performance."

Anatomy of Murder - "A murder case has many layers: the victim, the crime, and the investigation. To truly understand it, you need to dissect each piece of a tragic puzzle. Join Anna-Sigga Nicolazzi and Scott Weinberger every Tuesday for an insider’s perspective, as they reveal to you the Anatomy of Murder."

Consumed - "When struggling journalist Sarah Simmons finds herself stranded in an idyllic New Hampshire town, her unexpected visit turns into a nightmare.  Steeped in history and filled with legends, the residents of Danville soon learn that the past is not always meant to be forgotten. Their lives will be forever changed, while the hope of a future without terror rests on the shoulders of a stranger who may hold the keys to the past."

^^ Part of the Grim & Mild family... stuff I've already have queued up (Lore, Bridgewater, Cabinet of Curiosities, etc). 

Murder Homes - "The real estate market has never been hotter. Houses sell as soon as they’re listed. Bidding wars lead to all cash deals far above the asking price. But there is one kind of property that often sits on the market for years, no matter how much of a bargain it seems to be. Potential buyers come and go, the price keeps going down, and still the house stands empty.    In real estate jargon, it’s called a “stigmatized property” because the home comes with a history. An unfortunate one – a horrible death occurred here. But what few people know is exactly what happened.... or why.    Each week, Murder Homes tells the story of a single property. Who lived there? What secrets did they keep, and what did they leave behind? Part history, part murder mystery, this podcast mixes expert interviews, witness accounts, and court records to pull back the curtain on the hidden stories each property has to tell.    Would you be able to live somewhere that seems perfect, if it weren’t for the ghosts of its past?"

How to Win Friends and Disappear People - "Starring Leslie Grace and Soni Bringas, this 10-episode supernatural thriller follows Nancy (BRINGAS), a nebbish computer scientist, who becomes obsessed with her mysterious new neighbor. It doesn’t take long for her to uncover a dark secret: the mystery woman, El (GRACE), is actually a centuries-old vampire. As Nancy becomes her familiar (basically her assistant), bringing the vampire into the social media-driven world of millennial New York City, they are both pulled down a rabbit hole of deceit, murder, and mayhem."

^^ This one wasn't the best. I listened to it in full, but it was 'meh'. 

My Favorite Murder with Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark - "My Favorite Murder is a true crime comedy podcast hosted by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark. Each week, Karen and Georgia share compelling true crimes and hometown stories from friends and listeners.  Since MFM launched in January of 2016, Karen and Georgia have shared their lifelong interest in true crime and have covered stories of infamous serial killers like the Night Stalker, mysterious cold cases, captivating cults, incredible survivor stories and important events from history like the Tulsa race massacre of 1921."

Undertow: Narcosis - "Undertow is Realm’s premier horror podcast channel, showcasing original works of elevated audio horror. Hosted by audio horror pioneer and creator, Fred Greenhalgh. Veronica West never planned to come back to Sinclair. But when her estranged childhood friend goes missing at sea, Veronica returns to the remote island to lead a dangerous recovery dive – only to find herself trapped in a series of underwater tunnels with her oxygen dwindling. But that’s the least of her problems. There’s something unspeakable down there with her. Something the mainlanders don’t want her to find…"

Last Podcast On The Left - "The Last Podcast on the Left covers all the horrors our world has to offer, both imagined and real. From demons and slashers to cults and serial killers, The Last Podcast is guaranteed to satisfy your bloodlust."


These being the newest things, still means I've got to catch up on what I'm already plugged in to. I tend to get started in a series and listen to it all the way through, to whatever last episode was uploaded. Which then makes me delayed in listening to things already on my "listen now" list. 

Things like Betwixt The Sheets: The History of Sex, Scandal & SocietyiNTO THE FRAY RADIO - An Encounter with the Abyss that is the Paranormal, the aforementioned Grim & Mild stuff, The Scarecast (which really is a guy taking Reddit stories and reading them for funsies. It's meh, but passes the time).

I wish The Monster Hunters would do a couple more seasons. This is actually a fun listen. I totally buzzed through it at my previous job. It has some laughable moments and was suggested to me by my cousin Brady. "Take a trip back to swinging London in the early 1970s and meet Roy Steel, ex-big game hunter, and Lorrimer Chesterfield, a brain in the shape of a man. Together they are The Monster Hunters. Their mission: to protect the country from vampires, werewolves and a whole pantheon of unmentionable terrors! Taking its cue from the classic period of British horror and adventure, the 1960s and 70s, The Monster Hunters is a comedy adventure series written by and starring Peter Davis and Matthew Woodcock."

Looking up Monster Hunters, I actually just added a couple of Definitely Human podcasts to my queue. The BunkerDown and Marscorp. They look like one and done series, but they also look interesting. 

I'm a total science fiction, horror / thriller, political history person, apparently... just based on what I've got on my list. Is it good? Is it bad? I don't know. 

What I do know is that I've not even listed half of what I've listened to in the past 6 years. I've not included NPR stuff (like All Songs Considered) or cooking stuff (like Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street Radio). Even an attempt to learn Italian by listening to Coffee Break Italian, which actually kind of works, except you don't see the words written out, so you don't have the opportunity to study anything while listening, unfortunately. 

I guess I'll add more as I come to it, and try to suggest others when I have time. Until then, hope this list gets you active! 

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!