Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Sunday, December 17, 2023

Christmas: Dub style

 I woke up this morning with John Lennon's Happy Xmas (War Is Over) and it's not even Christmas yet. 

So I went looking for random covers of the song. You don't realize how many people have covered this, until you pull it up on Amazon

Celine Dion, Maroon 5, Shinedown, various choirs and little known artists.. the list goes on to over 15 pages. 

It doesn't help that the search adds sheet music, but that's part of the charm - you do it yourself.... if you have the right stuff. 

I mean, I know someone (okay, Tay) who has opted for the old school method some days and recorded each instrument track by itself in order to create his own songs. I've got a few "Tay Originals" on an old external hard drive, where he used an editing program and made just a piano and guitar track. It doesn't help that he had some audio mixing equipment at his disposal... we are radio / Communication people... 

So I took a chance and got myself Predator Dub Assassins' A Very Dubby Christmas and plan on listening to it later, as the album most likely is going to be one of those interesting holiday albums. Purely based on the fact it's "electronic reggae", it has to be good? 

As a cousin (Dave) once said, "you have eclectic tastes" when he was looking through my CDs one day when we were still in Brockton. He saw Bob Marley, Fugees, Fleetwood Mac, Indigo Girls... too big of an array to mention in here, but seeing how I already have some forms of Reggae, why not add a new artist to that list? 

To quote the man behind the reason of this post, "Whatever gets you through the night / It's all right, it's all right". 

I haven't seen the it yet, but there is a documentart that came out last week about Lennon's murder. It's on the Apple TV+ app and it's also on my watch list. I'm slowly getting thru a lot of shows that have finally dropped (yay for For All Mankind) so I'm sure I'll see it at one point. 

Maybe during my day off from work this week... which happens to be Christmas?? 

Until I can decide what to do, take care of yourselves. Stay warm. Stay classy. 

Cheers;






See Also: 
* John Lennon's Happy Xmas (War is Over). (track 103 from Signature Box compilation)
* John Lennon's Whatever Gets You Thru The Night  (track 19 from GIMME SOME TRUTH (Deluxe))
* Predator Dub Assassins A Very Dubby Christmas (track 06)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!