Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Smells like...

... something that belongs with the Tom's of Maine, Natural Strength Deodorant - Fresh Coconut deodorant (which apparently is discontinued because Amazon stopped selling it and I can't find it anywhere online - even Walmart says it's "out of stock". The Tom's website doesn't even list it. I almost feel like it never existed, even thought I've got pictures proving I used the stick and actually liked it). 

Anyway, this morning, I started using a Pacha Soap Co bar of soap I got from Detwiler's when I was in Sarasota for Thanksgiving. As the bar didn't have a label on it, the closest thing I can say is that the scent is the "Golden Chai", as it has a wintry spice smell to it. 

Yea, I know - sketchy AF for not buying something without a price or wrap around it. I think it's because the company is Earth friendly and doesn't want to waste stuff that can't decompose easily. I don't know what the deal is with stores selling it (how do they price it?) because the bars were in baskets at the registers. Maybe this is the way the store counteracts theft? Putting certain items up front? 

So as I'm using this, I'm noticing it also has some bumps onit.. like if you were to pre-wash your body with scrubbing salt / scrubbing agents and it's a textured gel of sorts.. that same weird grittiness is in the bar. I don't know what it is that makes it grainy, but it sure makes me want to eat it. 

I looked on the Pacha website, and the ingredients for this bar are listing as:
Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil^, Water, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Kernel Oil, Sodium Hydroxide**, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Fragrance (Plant-Based), Elettaria Cardamomum (Cardamom) Seed Oil, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Oil, Honey, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Powder, Syzygium Aromaticum (Clove) Leaf Powder, Titanium Dioxide​

^Sustainable **Turns Oils into Soap
While the highlighted / "key ingredients" are:
Beekeeper Direct Honey Soothes and moisturizes skin

Turmeric Root Powder Naturally skin boosting

Coconut Oil Versatile hydrating oil to keep skin moisturized
Perhaps it's the cloves that are gritty? I am not that familiar with what things look like when they are ground up and mushed together. But it left my body feeling like I had a slight spa day, which was nice. 

Since the brand seems to strive on being all natural, there are some benefits for the human body and the earth body. No unnecessary chemicals running down the drain and no possible reactions to bad stuff in the mix to make you break out. Plus, if there really is no type of outer covering, there's no need to worry about recycling unless you decide to do something with whatever the shipping container is. 

I can't speak on how things arrive to the house, as I said, I got this in a store, so they ultimately put it in a plastic bag. Which I reused and recycled when I got home. 

As far as prices are concerned, the same $34.95 five pack on Amazon is the same $34.95 five pack on Pacha. Thus, it comes out to a whopping $6.99 a bar. 

If you're looking for a shipping discount, it seems like Amazon has the win.  Free shipping on Pacha means you need a minimum of $55, according to their FAQs ("Orders of $55 or more to the contiguous US qualify for free shipping. The product total must be $55 or more after any discount is applied"). While Amazon's free delivery is anything over $35, all you need is one small item to go with the soap and you've got yourself no charge S&H. 

However, if you really want to compare some more apples to oranges, from looking around the site, it looks like Pacha has a rewards club that turns into tiers (levels), depending on how much you spend. I think the points roll over each calendar year, so it might be one of those "if you don't use them you keep them" situations. 

I created an account while writing this post and got an immediate 10% off coupon in my inbox for signing up, plus 50 points for creating the account. 

There's that perk? The coupon is 10 per cent off my first order, which would be $5.50 off my order if I chose to go the 55 dollar free shipping route. But, I have to order sixty dollars worth of stuff since any discount prior negates the free shipping. 

Continuing on the site, there are then incidentals:
  • 10 points a piece for following the brand on the three various socials. 
  • Purchase power on the levels including:
    • Making three separate $50 purchases (for 100 points) or two 25 dollar purchases for 25 points. 
  • Since it's a 1:1 system, every 1 dollar you spend, you gain 1 point. 
    • 100 points gets you $10 off. 

The 25 point purchase might be easier said than done, if you buy a 5 pack of soap, since they're over 30 bucks to begin with. There are also other offerings (bundles, bombs, kids, candles), and the prices vary depending on what you're in the market for. 

It all seems to add up quickly, considering it's "just soap" as my mother stated when I told her I started using a bar in my shower. Yes, it's just soap and I bought a 2 pack bar of soap at the Dollar Tree (for $1.25 + tax) in Sarasota (because I needed soap in my toiletries bag and didn't realize I'd get the Pacha for free due it a special weekend deal, quite honestly). Even the Native is pricey, but I keep debating on the deodorant since I don't get a flare up with it. 

Que sera, sera. 

So after all said and done, if you want to go back to comparing the big box online retailer to a small business and what's more economical, at least Amazon has Prime for a yearly subscription of $139

The price gets you: 
  • Prime video
  • Free shipping on anything (even if it's under $35) that has the Prime logo
  • A discount at Whole Foods (if you shop there, and it has to be on products that say "Prime Members save X%")
  • "Try Before You Buy" (according to the synopsis: "Prime Try Before You Buy is a Prime-exclusive program where you can try on eligible items across women's, men's, kid's, and baby's clothing, shoes, and accessories. Try up to six items at home and pay for only what you keep")

The list goes on, including the ability to use a SNAP / EBT card on groceries for those using government benefits ("Customers with a valid SNAP EBT card can use their SNAP funds on Amazon. No Prime membership required. Customers can shop SNAP-eligible groceries from Amazon, Amazon Fresh, and Whole Foods Market. Plus, customers with a registered card get free access to Amazon Fresh and 50% off a Prime membership. Amazon accepts SNAP EBT in all states except Alaska"). 

So I mean... when it comes down to it, what's the lesser of two evils? Sure, I buy (or in the case of Thanksgiving, get it as a promotion) one bar of soap from a local store, or I buy that same bar from the brand web site and gain points for future purchases. Maybe I even get it from Amazon and add on something else for better shipping alternatives, since I'm already watching shows on the video platform.

However, how realistic is this, in all seriousness? Am I going to be a repeat customer on the Pacha site and only get my shower needs from them? Probably not. Will I run back to Sarasota just to get the 6.99 bar of soap? Definitely not. Do I put the multipack in my shopping cart on Amazon and get it with something else? Doubtful since I do tend to get my soap as a bigger multipack when it's on sale at other retailers. 

Honestly, I love the idea of Pacha being all natural and being a mix of healthy / plant based items that possibly won't cause me to break out, but I'm not in love with it enough to be won over and use the brand as my sole provider of clean living. As I've mentioned before, I try everything and purchase most in brick and mortar stores because I need to know if I have a reaction, I won't have a problem finding something different. I have to read ingredient lists, and dumb on me for not doing that diligence prior to getting the Pacha. BUT... so far, no problems since the bar I chose doesn't have lemongrass in it. 

It's seriously a matter of literal taste - do I want to support a brand that aims to help the planet one scrubby at a time? Sure. Do I want to rely on purchasing on one site and one site alone? No, considering $6.99 for 1 bar plus needing $48.01 in more product is a little too steep in added taxes for me to warrant it. It's nice to know I can order if necessary, but I don't know if I can legitimize the expense. 

I got clean, sure. I smell good, yes. But I also got used to doing my shopping a certain way. I haven't even been on the Native website in a while to do any orders, especially since I've been buying other brands of deodorant. I don't even use Amazon like that either. I like to touch, sniff and compare. I have to read what's in it. I learned the hard way with one of the online only purchases, where the scent was way too overpowering, so that itself has made me limit my buying online. 

If I only had Maude's "Odorifics" machine, all would be good? Watch the movie - you'll understand. 

I don't know what else to say since I'm circling around a lot here. Do your research. Help the planet. Smell amazing and lighten your wallet. Turn to page 6 if you want to continue this discussion, or go to page 2 if you're into Paul Harvey, if you want to know the rest of the story... 

Good... day (or night depending on when you read this).



Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!