Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Customer lost or customer gained?

As much as I've seen the "viral videos" of people going to certain coffee chains and saying how bad things have gotten, just for a coffee, I'm not innocent in my java addiction by any means. I still partake in the "every so often" expenditure, without trying to break the bank or break a diet.

Key phrasing is “try”.

I’m still making it at home, daily. Even though the only fancy thing I do, is pour some random Torani syrup in at the last second to give the caffeine a little more (sugar free) jolt. 

For context regarding the videos, the algorithm on the gym televisions where I watch a lot of Youtube, have had various "shock" videos "promoting”, “debunking”, and "raising questions" about what places like Starbucks is putting in their blended drinks (some silica powder that turns into something hazardous to workers) or that Dunkin' is doling out a $12.99 bucket (which rumor has it that the thing is just 2.5 medium, or 1.5 large iced coffees). The individual coffees are a lesser cost than the bucket, plus you can't get it refilled unless you purchase the drinks separately. If you want to go the route of the bucket, there are places online where you can buy just the bucket itself.

While I haven't witnessed any of this first hand, except for seeing how small the Dunkin bucket actually is, I can't confirm nor deny any truth to the videos I am seeing online. I'm just making conversation as part of something I do want to discuss, with the difference being, please watch the videos with a grain of salt and do your own research. 

My personal story relating to big coffee chains is the following:

One of the local Starbucks, which is in a Target, does not accept cash to refill the Starbies app. 

Let me explain, with a little more information…

If you are a Starbucks "member", especially one with the app, you can put money on an internal (digital) card and use that to pay for your food and drink. You can also use a physical card if that’s something you prefer; you just need to link it to your account. The card is refillable and as a member, you get a certain amount of points (stars) depending on how much money you (digitally) reload on to it.

Notice I’ve said “digitally” because this comes in to play with my issue.

This also means that whenever you make a qualified purchase on that card, you also get points (stars) that can be used for other purchases. The exception is you need to meet whatever the threshold is, in order to redeem said stars (currently, 25 stars equals "$1 off a drink customization, including an espresso shot, syrup or cold foam", for example). 

Going back to my challenge at the local Starbucks:

I went in one day, cash in hand, and wanted to reload my card. I was all set to put $30 on it, as someone had given me half the money as a thank you for doing something for them. 

When I gave the barista my cash, all the workers froze in place. Almost like I was doing something bad and they were worried what the next move was.

One of the workers ended up saying “We can’t accept cash” and the rest of the team also made mumblings about my not being able to pay with the bills. 

I asked why, and I was informed that this particular Starbucks is “a highly trafficked store. Due to so many people coming in and out and doing a lot of high value orders, the store has been frauded too many times. A lot of people have come in with cash and tried loading their cards with fake money, as well as using the fake money to make purchases. It’s more on the reload side than anything else, so cash isn’t accepted to load the card”. Everyone who goes in and wants to put money on their app, has to do it via credit or debit card. The store will refuse to take your money.

Now the interesting part is, if I didn’t want to use my account to pay for my item, I surely can use cash instead. I just wouldn’t get the star to dollar points that the card gives you (for every dollar you spend, you get X amount of stars if you use your Starbucks card as a form of payment. It’s a higher amount than paying cash or using a credit card). 

Why they accept cash to pay for the order but don’t allow you to use the same cash to refill your card seems weird to me. They were adamant about not accepting my money when I wanted to load my account up. They made sure I knew exactly how the store has had cash fraud and their new rule is they can’t take your money if you want to put it into your account. I could go to another store if I wanted to load my card with cash, or I could use a debit or credit card. I just wasn’t allowed to spend my thirty dollars there with cash. 

I ended up cancelling the order and ultimately canceled whatever coffee I was going to order, because my mind was boggled over this conversation. If they accept paper bills for one transaction, they should for the other. It truly doesn’t make sense to me (literally… sense / cents. Haha).   

I haven’t tried any other Starbucks yet, as I have not gone to another location. I do want to see if it happens at any other place, because a franchise store in another bigger store has that much traffic, they get scammed on a routine basis? Here I thought the most problems lately were with cards still; that there’s somehow way for hackers to get your info within a certain radius of the card reader. People are still washing money and laundering it into other means… in this day and age? Cash is no longer king at this specific mermaid retailer, apparently. 

It is one of those “mind.blown” things to me. 

I did try again another day, and received the same information: Cash is not welcome to reload the app because the store is a high traffic store and they’ve been conned too often and the owner has made it a big rule that cash is not a valid option when reloading the Starbucks cards. It’s only welcome if you want to pay for your overall purchase. 

Which again, is one in the same – my “purchase” is reloading the app, which in turn, pays for my coffee. The other option is I can use the cash to pay for the coffee while scanning my app and not get all the points I would if I paid with the store card. It’s just a jumble now. 

The second time in, I just said fine; I’ll pay the cash for the coffee and that’s it. It’s not worth it to ask again. It really doesn’t even seem worth it to go to another location to see what they do, because I don’t frequent the brand that often to warrant it. I mean, if I get a coffee from them once a month, that’s plenty because they charge for everything again. 

Unless it’s a store by store basis, I’ve gone in and ordered an iced coffee with breve (cream) and all of a sudden my bill is higher because they poured the half and half in the cup. If I ask for “room for cream” and use the thermos on the side table that has the napkins and sugar, I’m paying less for the coffee. Same way one day the store tells me they don’t charge for syrup additions, and the next day, they do. Actually, I’ve gone into two stores that have done this, and they’ve both been in a Target. Maybe it’s a Target thing?

I feel like I’m strangely circling the wagon with this one because I just don’t understand the cash to fraud situation. I’m not defending anything by any means; I only want to know why the rule seems half baked. I don’t manage the store; it’s not my job. If they want to define the shopping experience, so be it. I will define my patronage by not ordering there too much. It is what it is.

On a relative side note,  I brewed a 10 cup carafe of Folgers decaf coffee last night and let it cool enough to put it in a recycled iced coffee bottle, to make iced coffee this week. I then added Torani syrup and Planet Oat creamer today and it was a new flavor for me.

The breakdown (how I saved myself some money instead of going to a coffee house):

I have an old school 10 cup Dominion electric percolator





Mix that with two scoops of Folgers decaf ground coffee. The scoop I use is from the Orgain protein powder. It's something like 32cc and actually works well. 



I let all that do its thing and once it cooled down, I actually poured it into an old Starbucks Iced Coffee container (the type you get in the refrigerator section, pre made). Let all that hang out over night in the fridge. 



Today, I added (a new flavor for me) Torani syrup. I usually get sugar free, but World Market was giving away very specific fall flavors for members, and I picked up the Chai Tea Spice because free is free; I'll try it. 

It's normally a $10.99 bottle (and it's glass, to boot, so it has home heft to it) and it's definitely different in the flavor realm.



With that, I added the Planet Oat Oatmilk "Sweet and Creamy" Creamer.

Et voila; I had myself an iced coffee. 

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the Planet Oat bottle because I tore off the label so I could reuse the container. I bought one of those 64 ounce CoffeeMate Creamer vessels at BJ's last week and to make it easier on myself, I poured half of it into the Oatmilk container once I finished the oatmilk. #thingsyoudotosave. 


Overall, the Chai is an acquired taste and it gives off a different style of sweetness mixed with bitterness, I think because of whatever spices are infused in the syrup process. I know that "dirty chai" drinks are a bit of the rage with certain age brackets and coffee lovers, so adding this to a regular brew, rather than an espresso, is different. I know espresso is more of a condensed coffee, but when you don't have access to that type of bean, you have to make due with what's in your pantry. I think if there was a sugar free version of the Chai, I might try it, only to see if any specific flavors are toned down. It's truly a new experience and profile for me.  

When I finish this (giant ass) bottle, I'm going to try the coconut version. It was "on sale" and is the size of those small Mio packages - the type of squeezable container you can carry with you and put a drop or two of refresher in your drink. They're actually being referenced as "liquid drink enhancer" on Amazon and other retailers. It's worth the literal shot to see how this stacks up against other additions. If it can go in water or coffee, this may be a game changer.

In the end, it's easy to say "to each their own and to each experimenting with flavors" as I shall leave it here. Hopefully on the next coffee run, I learn something different and get a new idea for my home brew. You never know what to try unless you pay the full price first. Only then can you start saving at home and making variations to your liking. 


Cheers;





See also (aka links to Amazon for the products I used to make my coffee):

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!