Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Saturday, March 30, 2024

#musicthrowback (early 2000s)

I feel like every time I hear Shakira's Hips Don't Lie (track 3 off Oral Fixation, Vol. 2) on the radio, there's a point in the song where Shakira is singing and a line feels cut off. Like the someone didn't want her to say something so they edited out whatever it was and didn't try to fix where she goes in to the next part of the song. 

It's so hard to explain and pin point where exactly that part is, as I heard it on the radio yesterday and it just got me thinking. It's a hard edit and doesn't flow so great. I mean, the song in its entirety is so streamlined, that the point it feels like there is a bad mix, stands out dramatically. 

As I'm typing this, I listened to the song again, so I am able to say exactly where it is and what it is. It's around the 1:40 mark when she starts singing "oh boy, I can see your body moving / half animal, half man". At the 1:45 mark, she sings "You seem to have a plan" and goes into "My will and self-restraint" at 1:46. That's the point where it goes into the question of what just happened. 

It's all one verse but the shift between "plan" and "my will" is harsh. Once she finishes the verse out, the song goes back in to a quality edit. 

Things I've read about this song is that it's a bunch of samples. Wyclef Jean has one song that was matched up to be re-recorded with this, plus some of the brass work from Jerry Rivera. 

It doesn't matter who she sampled or how long it took to create the song, every time I hear it, those two lines trip me up because I keep thinking someone had an oops moment in the editing bay. I know I'm reading too much in to this and it's just a song, but I can't help but wonder why that stayed in and not fixed. Like I said, the song in its entirety is great and you can't tell that it's not a pure 100% original track, except when you get to that 1:45 mark and Shakira's vocals shift. 

I know it's just me being crazy weird, but I felt like making a comment about it. Something to think about. 

- Shrugs - 

Cheers;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!