Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Recipe for disaster

Last week I was visiting relatives and was talking to a cousin about making a "dumb downed" (aka cheaper) version of Starbucks' Vanilla Rooibos Tea Latte.

We were talking about various coffee drinks and how at some places are more expensive then others, and I suggested that if she (my cousin) likes the drinks from Starbucks, why not try a less expensive version?

After explaining to her the instructions, she suggested I put it on my blog.

Now, I must admit, I do not own the rights to any of the brand names listed forthcoming; this is just merely suggestion. I am not trying to drive customers away from the Seattle chain, but I know sometimes you can't really afford that 5 buck daily drink.

Hope this helps.


What you need:


• Celestial Seasonings Madagascar Vanilla Red Tea (http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/detail.html/red-teas/madagascar-vanilla-red )

• Coffee Mate French Vanilla creamer
(make sure you get the small bottle so you don’t go and waste it. If all else fails, you can always buy another. I use this because I think it tastes the best. I suggest you try other brands French Vanilla if you want to experiment. Just buy a small bottle at a time) ( http://www.coffee-mate.com/Products/French-Vanilla.aspx#cf0aa49f-120c-459a-8081-24bfac27e69a )


• Whisk or milk frother.

• A mug of your choice



What you need to do (what I usually do):

• Take one tea bag and put it in a mug of your choice

• Boil your water

• As the water is boiling, in another cup, pour some creamer in. If you have a whisk, whisk the creamer. I use one of those frother whisks
(something like this: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&sku=13033501  Although, you can probably find a cheaper one. But this is just to give you the idea. If I remember correctly, IKEA sells one for under $5). * see note

• When the water is boiled, pour it into your mug, but leave enough for the creamer.

• Pour the frothed cream into your mug, give a quick stir (use a spoon so then you can squish the tea bag against the inside of the mug to release more of the tea)

• Voila! Home made Starbucks Vanilla Rooibos Tea Latte





** Note: If you do not have a whisk or a frother, skip this step and just pour the cream into the mug. It tastes the same either way – the frothiness just gives it that “latte” feel. It’s the same either way… once the froth “melts” into the tea.






See also (for those "one stop shoppers" on Amazon):
Amazon list of varying prices - tea



Coffeemate French Vanilla - varying prices
(you want the actual liquid... gets messy with the powder)



Frothing whisks - varying prices