Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Saturday, September 30, 2017

"Don't speak its name"

... "unless you want it to answer you".


Last weekend when I was visiting people in Kissimmee, the family got a technological package in the mail. It was a present for their house that they felt would make their lives a little easier. I don't know much about the "why" or the "how", but a small item arrived the same day I did.

I have to point out this family is just a man and a woman, both older than 75.

An Amazon Prime box was sitting on their kitchen counter, waiting to be opened. Once every one had unpacked and done their various business, the box was opened.

Out comes a small speaker, the size of a hockey puck. Maybe a puck high as well. It's got a power cord that is about a foot - foot and a half in length, as well as a manual.

Once this thing was plugged in, the guy that ordered it started asking questions. "Alexa, what's the weather for tomorrow?" the first thing out of his mouth was. "The weather for tomorrow is...." Alexa answered with the exact degree. I guess I now know what he ordered - an Amazon Echo Dot. I didn't see him install any apps on his phone or tablet, so I don't know what he planned on connecting it to. I did notice it took all of 5 minutes to set up. The set up literally was "plug in", "power on" and say "Alexa" to make her listen to your conversation. The scary part is the fact that the second you say her name, she's listening to your entire conversation and can report back on key words.

Just like the Samsung Smart TV debacle.

However, all the "don't say her name!! Shhh!!!" over the weekend didn't stop us from having fun with the Dot. It's a pretty neat little gadget, if I must admit to it. I'm not interested in getting one for myself, but to see it work right from unpacking is pretty amazing. Considering the fiasco I had when setting up Chromecast, I'm glad Amazon is doing something right by users and making their devices a literal plug and play. Maybe down the road I'll get a talking smart device, but since I've got my Roku still handy, do I really need something else? I can already use the voice aspect on the remote (which is a physical button instead of talking to thin air like everything else) so finding a TV show or movie the lazy way out is something that can be done. The second I read a report that my Roku is listening to me, I'll stop using it.

Until then, I've got my tin foil ready...


Cheers;








See Also:
Google keyword search "samsung smart tv listening"

Amazon keyword "samsung smart tv"

Amazon keyword "conspiracy theory tin foil"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!