Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Friday, September 15, 2017

Hidden in "plane" "site"

Irma has been gone for a few days, and I've got enough local photos to beat a horse.

The news stations are still reporting how it's going to take years for some locations to regain some semblance of normalcy (see the Caribbean, St Martin, other "tourist hot spots" that got hit). With the Keys the "closest" part of the world to me that got torn up, it's hard to comprehend how bad the devastation really is. I understand what has happened and I know it's not good. I've seen the pictures on the Internet and TV, I've seen what Fort Myers even looks like, but to really grasp the context of the situation is hard. I'm not there living through it. None of my friends and family are. My complex may have lost power for a couple days, but the worst part of our devastation was a ton of down trees and a lot of debris. Yes, they are still working on regaining power and having sewerage challenges in one of the parcels, but essentially my community is unscathed (for looking like a war zone with vegetation debris). So that being said, considering the only place I've been out of the United States is England, knowing the Bahamas won't be next on my list to visit for a while isn't something I can honestly say I'm looking forward to. I know it sounds wrong to say it, but that's not an area I have currently planned to visit as it is. My country bucket list is a little different than others.

If I were to actually have a bucket list, my plan of attack is going to specific major cities for soccer games. It's petty, I know, but there are double edged reasons for it. I get to travel to another country, see the sights and see a sports game that I half ass attempt to follow. But my main deal is to go visit places I have a slight interest in, and "touristy island" places aren't part of it. Although the countries I'd be visiting are well enough considered "islands" by most people. However, we all live on an island if you really want to get in to it...

Anyway, back on track.

My mom and I were out walking the complex the day before last, and I happened to have my camera with me. I took some photos, which I will upload to this post, but last night I wish I had my camera (and zoom lens). I think one of the NOAA planes came over my area of the city, as there was some Cessna looking aluminum bird flying way too low to be a normal 747 heading to RSW. But what do I know; I'm not a airplane person to tell you the exact model of the bird. I know there is a Hurricane Irma Imagery page that is being run by "NOAA Remote Sensing Division to support NOAA homeland security and emergency response requirements". The map just so happens to stop short of my area. So maybe there will be a new update tomorrow of areas closer to me. It'll be real interesting once all the pictures are uploaded so people can see damage from all over the state, should the planes go everywhere. It's already really cool to see how technology has progressed in our world and we are able to see the damage to communities. I mean, it's a shitty thing to see the Keys under water and what's not floating is full of sand, broken trees, broken houses... The houses are a wreck, at least those still standing. You're going to have to zoom in on areas to see the mess. Boats are everywhere on the small islands of the Keys. Instead of having swimming pools in the backyard, some people have boats. It's so odd the way the current took people's ocean possessions.

That's about it for today's check in. I really can't think of anything to add as I've been trying to multitask this afternoon and things are acting up on my laptop right now...


Cheers;


Pictures or this post didn't happen (the only "major" editing I did to these photos was add my name to them. WYSIWYG):

In da hot tub!

Kiddie pool























See Also (aka music I'm jamming to while writing this):

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!