Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Just another tequila sunrise?

No, I'm not a day drinker, nor have I ever had a tequila mixed drink. But I do have some sunrise pictures from this week.

Now that it's getting lighter later, the sunrise has been around the time I've been at work on my early day. Not that I've not gotten sunrise pictures before at work, but it's just weird to get it around after 7:15. Guess fall is here and winter is coming?

- Although it's bee in the 80s here this week while my friends back north have been dealing with 40s for temperatures. I hear a Nor'Easter is on it's way. JOY! Be safe, fam, be safe. 

All photos have been taken on an iPhone 6S and no editing has been done. I've used my phone's focus to get some variations, but that is the extent of manipulations. 










I finally finished a couple books and am on Black Mass by Dick Lehr and Gerard O'Neill. Yes, it's the same title as the Johnny Depp movie, mainly because it's the same story. I'm finally getting around to read the book, as I had picked it up last year at a second hand store. I also picked up The Brothers Bulger: How They Terrorized and Corrupted Boston for a Quarter Century by Howie Carr, and that will be the next one I read. 





Black Mass is interesting. There's a lot of street and city names thrown in this book that I remember from my adventuring through Boston (and from what I lived near as well). I also remember hearing some of the high ranking names (outside of the Bulgers) mentioned too.* Boston has history, and it's not all about The Freedom Trail, The 'Make Way For Ducklings' statues, Castle Island or the 'Old Gahden'. It's also about the old world charm of "us versus them" ... which has made the North End all Italian (mmmm Maggiano's and Mike's Pastry... *drool*) and Southie all Irish (Dropkick Murphys anyone?). It doesn't have all bad things either. There's just more to the city's history than books let on. Folklore, family talk, things that are rumored to be true but you don't want to believe it. Things your friend's tell you because they think it's a joke. It's all a matter of what you want to believe. Take it or leave it, because the truth will set you free. 

* Synopsis of the updated book, via Amazon: 
When the FBI turned an Irish mobster into an informant, they corrupted the entire judicial system and sanctioned the worst crime spree Boston has ever seen. This is the true story behind the major motion picture. 
James "Whitey" Bulger became one of the most ruthless gangsters in US history, and all because of an unholy deal he made with a childhood friend. John Connolly a rising star in the Boston FBI office, offered Bulger protection in return for helping the Feds eliminate Boston's Italian mafia. But no one offered Boston protection from Whitey Bulger, who, in a blizzard of gangland killings, took over the city's drug trade. Whitey's deal with Connolly's FBI spiraled out of control to become the biggest informant scandal in FBI history. 
Black Mass is a New York Times and Boston Globe bestseller, written by two former reporters who were on the case from the beginning. It is an epic story of violence, double-cross, and corruption at the center of which are the black hearts of two old friends whose lives unfolded in the darkness of permanent midnight.


I guess that's it for now. Must be a Slow News Day.


Cheers.




See Also (aka title reference):
The Eagles: Tequila Sunrise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!