Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Sunday, January 16, 2022

"Good" morning?

It's Sunday... you want to be able to sleep in, enjoy a relaxing breakfast, read up on the news... 


Not get woken up by the Emergency Alert System blaring your smart phone and then a land line vocal message... 




There's an active tornado warning happening this morning.

Even as I type this (8:40am), there are six (6) active warnings happening in the area, including a few cross streets that are "just minutes" from my house (and they connect to other cities). As I look out the kitchen window (because it's breakfast time and I'm having my coffee and smoothie), it's dark out - almost like sun setting dark, it's windy, but it's not pouring like it was about an hour ago. It's stormy dark too... like snow is coming, badly.

The sun was out and it was bucketing rain and a few booms of thunder for 10 minutes (that I noticed, right after the phone message came through). Priority was me and my mom got in our respective bathrooms and took showers. Then she called her friends who are in upstairs units, as well as those in low lying in houses - that are prone to quick flooding. Day or night, come to our unit because we are a center unit and can hide out for safety. 

But now that I say that... I'm thinking, "what about our / their cars?". I guess a car is better lost to nature than a body, yes. However, here she is telling people to come for safety but if we got hit, then how do they get back to their own places when it's time? Hopefully it won't get that way. Especially since the news is showing the mobile home parks that are destroyed because a couple places got hit by the tornado. 

You really put your life in your hands during storms when you live in a trailer park. Around here, insurance companies don't home insure the parks due to the various types of storms we get (hurricanes, tornadoes, etc). Aluminum cans get broken when dropped. Every time there's a weather event, the first pictures you see are mobile homes destroyed. As much as I could afford to live in one and would probably live in one, nofa king way am I moving into a park while in Florida. I'm not risking my life when hurricane season approaches (six months out of the year) or during windy events. At least with parks in snow country, yes, heavy snow can ruin roofs, but it can do that on a normal house too. Hurricanes ruin normal house roofs here, but don't blow houses down like a deck of cards like mobile homes are decimated. 

I'm all over the place right now because I can't think while the TV is on in my house. My mother is in the living room watching local news. The living room is off the dining room (where I am). With a 48" television blaring news, my focus is everywhere but typing. I want to type in the case we get power loss because it's starting to thunder again (8:49). 

The pictures on the television are crazy.. people uploading videos to local news. So it being 9:04am, the news is talking about probabilities of EF0-EF2 cones. As they were talking, my mother and I looked at each other like "shit" because we both heard the blaring of the Emergency Alert tone, but it wasn't on our phones. I said "it's their phones on the TV... give it a minute and we will probably get something... the noise is their end". 

The wind is picking up here and it's a steady rain. Thunder but lightning in other places they just said. The system is moving north, but there are little cones popping up around here. Wind spouts and rotation about 15 to 25 minutes from me. 

I'm sure we'll be find but I should probably cut my post here, as I just saw some lightning and we had a boom of thunder. I'm nervous about a looming power outage and should probably get the cell phone battery blocks charged while I can... 


I'll post an update when I can!

Cheers;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!