Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Friday, April 8, 2022

Expand your mind...

... and the words do follow.


I started reading Harold and Maude on Monday, after finishing Predators, Prey, and Other Kinfolk: Growing Up in Polygamy by Dorothy Allred Solomon. For a 352 page book, it sure as hell took me long enough to finish. I think I was working on that thing for 4 months, yet it feels like a year. It doesn't help that I wasn't reading it every day, so that's probably why I feel it was taking a decade to get through.

But with the Harold and Maude book, where "it's only" 137 pages", I am currently on page 43. Yes, I started it Monday and I should be further in to it because today is Friday, but I also have to work. It's funny how it's quite literally the transcript to the movie, as if Hal Ashby couldn't be bothered to try to work out anything from the book and make his own adaptation. The only thing that's been left out, it seems, is the private thoughts of everyone within the pages. Example being Harold's mother talking to her self (in her head) about one of the parties or Harold mansplaining something to himself. Plus the introduction of Maude's house. There's more depth to where she lives (in the book) and she has neighbors apparently. Unless I totally missed that part in the movie. This is all the more reason I should be deeper into reading it, but again, work calls. 

I'm hoping I'll have more time this weekend to dive in to it. I know the #spoileralert for the ending, but it'd be nice to see how they write in all the music to this, or even if it's talked about, seeing how Cat Stevens specifically wrote songs for the movie soundtrack. Can't quote lyrics if it doesn't exist yet. Since I haven't gotten to the part in the book where the duo start singing, it's going to be interesting.

Speaking of interesting, it's almost 6:30 in the morning and I've got to start my day. Showers beckon and work will call soon....





So go watch the movie. Then read the book. Or vice versa. 




Cheers;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!