Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Another daily debate

With everyone having Labor Day weekend sales (lest I forget the deodorant fiasco a few years ago 😱), I can't decide if I want to order a couple books online or wait it out to finish the stacks I have currently. 

What prompted this, is the fact I was next on the list to receive Radium Girls from the library. I got it today and it's sitting on my entertainment center until Saturday when I can watch it. It finally came in and it's "only" Wednesday... but I am too tired to watch it tonight. 

I'm old... I say this as it's not even 8pm (and I'll finish writing this after 8). 

But I'm excited to see the movie. It's "based on true events" where "sisters Bessie and Jo Cavallo paint dial watches at the American Radium factory in New Jersey. When Jo's health starts to decline, Bessie starts to question if Radium is safe and discovers a veil of corporate lies". 

Originally, I heard the book review of The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women NPR when it came out. Someone was interviewing Kate Moore and it sounded really good. 

Per Amazon:

The incredible true story of the women who fought America’s Undark danger

The Curies’ newly discovered element of radium makes gleaming headlines across the nation as the fresh face of beauty, and wonder drug of the medical community. From body lotion to tonic water, the popular new element shines bright in the otherwise dark years of the First World War.

Meanwhile, hundreds of girls toil amidst the glowing dust of the radium-dial factories. The glittering chemical covers their bodies from head to toe; they light up the night like industrious fireflies. With such a coveted job, these “shining girls” are the luckiest alive — until they begin to fall mysteriously ill.

But the factories that once offered golden opportunities are now ignoring all claims of the gruesome side effects, and the women’s cries of corruption. And as the fatal poison of the radium takes hold, the brave shining girls find themselves embroiled in one of the biggest scandals of America’s early 20th century, and in a groundbreaking battle for workers’ rights that will echo for centuries to come.

Written with a sparkling voice and breakneck pace, The Radium Girls fully illuminates the inspiring young women exposed to the “wonder” substance of radium, and their awe-inspiring strength in the face of almost impossible circumstances. Their courage and tenacity led to life-changing regulations, research into nuclear bombing, and ultimately saved hundreds of thousands of lives...


This is one of the books I'd be buying if I talked myself in to it. As someone who enjoys knowing weird truths about history, I keep putting off the purchase of this story. 

I mean, at under $15 right now, I can't say it'll break the bank, but I also don't have the justification since I have a solid 40 books in crates on my floor right now that are collecting dust. I'm currently attempting Bobby Kennedy: The Making of a Liberal Icon and am 35 pages in to it, as I haven't brought it out to read during my lunch breaks at work. 

I eat like a four year old and when you bring soup or salad for your afternoon meal, it's hard not to make a mess some days. 

So the book has been sitting in my back pack. It's a thick book too, so I'll be trudging slowly though it. It'll then go with the other Kennedy books I've acquired over the years... 

... yea.. #Masshole. 

Which is just as good as a reason to try to hold myself off from buying more... the want is great but the need is slim. 

Like the fact I'd want to read Eerie Appalachia: Smiling Man Indrid Cold, the Jersey Devil, the Legend of Mothman and More (American Legends) book since the authors  Mark Muncy and Kari Schultz) were on Into The Fray this month and I am getting around to listening to that episode.

The pair are always on the podcast and seem to be on more frequently when they have a book out. As much as I'm not a fan of living in America's Wang / God's Waiting Room /  The Sunshine State, the Eerie books sound cool. Like I said, I'm (sorta) in to randomly weird history, and these stories are all about the paranormally odd tourist / off the grid places south of the Peach State. 

I'd be apt to use my library on these when I get down to a decent amount of stories I own. Considering the last paperback I took out was in 2014 for the book numbers 1,2, 4 and 5 of the Dante Valentine series (I stupidly bought book three since it looked good, but went to start it and realized "shit, it's smack in the middle of a succession of books), I probably should dust my numbers off for something good rather than a two hour visual brain melting. 

I flip flop. I know. I need to make up my mind about these things. Where my eyesight is getting worse as the years go on, who knows how much longer I'll be able to read "normal" print. My coke bottle glasses will end up setting the pages on fire if I sit under a lamp the right way. 

Watch... my luck that'll happen sooner than later. 😂

Well, it's just shy of 8:30 and it's thundering like crazy. Which means it's time to log off and get the electronics powered down. 

#oldschoollearnings say "It's storming! Unplug yer sheeit!"

Off I go!


Cheers!

1 comment:

Thanks for sharing!