Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Sunday, August 21, 2022

It seems weird...

I know I'm not the world's most excellent mathematician, nor do I pretend to be. However, there seems to be something off kilter about my CVS transaction yesterday. 

Between $4.19 in Extrabucks (three separate cash back rewards - $4, $0.10, $0.09), two different manufacturer coupons ($2 off any Tom's of Maine product, $1 off any Tom's of Maine product), I really should have walked out paying absolute zero for a $6.99 bottle of mouthwash. 





Instead, I paid 20 cents tax on a "100% savings" item. 




I edited out store information from the receipt. That is why it looks funny. 

Essentially, when I used the self checkout, I was charged tax on the mouthwash before I used any type of (digital) coupons. By having over six dollars worth of redemptions, it really should have paid for itself.

Breaking down the savings:
Product        =      6.99 (-)
Extrabuck 1 =     4.00  (-)
Coupon 1     =     1.00  (-)
Coupon 2     =      2.00 (coupon charged differently)*

6.99 - 4.00 = 2.99
2.99 - 1.00 = 1.99

* Because the second coupon was worth 2 dollars, they only subtracted 1.99 from it. 

1.99 - 1.99 = 0.00

I still have my nineteen cents in Extrabucks savings. So if I had to pay the twenty cents in tax, theoretically, I feel that the leftover change should have been used that way (the 19 cents Extra bucks plus the penny they adjusted for the 2 dollar coupon). Completely clear out my transaction. THAT is when I really would have saved 100 per cent - by using all my points and coupons to their full value instead of now having to go back to the store and figure out what to buy to spend the 19 cents. 

Somehow, by paying state tax, I feel like I didn't have a full savings. It's just another way for the government to get us hooked on things and pay frivolously. 

Yes, I went there and I don't always talk politics. It's just lately, I've been having some challenges with things and even one of my friends (Hi Cat) is having similar remarks. We were talking about how there's been some toxicity among the ranks (family and friends) and we started comparing pipe dreams. The kind of "wishin' and hopin'" (not the Dusty Springfield kind, but maybe not even along the lines of Barenaked Ladies "If I Had $1,000,000" via a scratch off kind either) thoughts where if we had enough money, we'd band like minded people together and hang out in peace. Which is also why I keep trying my hand at the Mega Millions and Powerball every few weeks. Plus the occasional scratch off. Meh.

I know, it sounds like a hippy commune when I put it this way. Trust me, it's not. I'm not delving deep into this blog with what she and I fully talk about because I don't want to give away too many trade secrets. I admit it sounds funny and stupid as hell right now to allude to things, but seeing where life is going, pipe dreams are amazing conjecture. 

A dream is a dream until you make it reality. So we're going to keep trying to find our ways of peaceful living. When we can accomplish it, I'll let you know. 

Until then, stay fresh.

Cheers;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!