Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Sunday, September 17, 2023

Deodorant TMI

I know I've talked about challenges with deodorant before, so consider this a fair do's warning: If you can't handle some smelly TMI, turn away now and come back at a later date to see if I've uploaded something new. If you can handle conversations about armpits and things we use to relive the sweat, read on. 


I've decided that not only am I allergic to heat and humidity (fat kid problems in "the tropics"), I think I'm allergic to Cymbopogon Flexuosus Oil (lemongrass oil) and now anything with lemon in it (even if it's not in the ingredient list).


Although, it's not an "allergy" if you ask one of my doctors because my throat doesn't close. It's more of a really shitty reaction to the oil. I sometimes use "reaction" and "allergy" interchangeably. 


Why do I think I've got a bad reaction to these oils?


Because every time I tried "natural" deodorants with "essential oils" (like Arm & Hammer Essentials or Tom's of Maine (Unscented)), I've broken out within days of starting it because the ingredients include natural lemongrass oil and it gives me some sort of major armpit rash. It's ugly, it smells, it's not for the faint of heart. 

So I have to attempt to keep my pits clean and try other things while everything heals. It's a lousy lesson in maintaining good hygiene while having to go out in the world and do the adulty things. 

For as much as I like the Tom's brand, I'm learning that even the Lemon & Bergamot is giving me problems. I have been previously fine with that scent, but lately, I've broken out. It's to the point I needed to throw out the stick I was using because I couldn't make the rash go away. 

Maybe it has to do with summer still being in place down here in Florida (it's been over 90° with humidity) and I've been sweating more because of it, or it's just that I now can't handle something in that stick. I think it's hidden under "natural ingredients", the lemongrass oil. 

After the last round of flare up, I decided to try something new, since I had to throw out the Lemon & Bergamot. Whomp Whomp.

So I started trying something similar to the hello Activated Charcoal Fresh and Clean Deodorant. It's the same brand, but it's antiperspirant deodorant. It must be the same thing, or so I hope. It's working without any problems thus far, and if my pits continue to stay calm, at least then I know I have another deodorant to try. 

The other thing I can think of, is the fact there's activated charcoal in this one. I didn't have any problems when I was using the Native Deodorant | Charcoal

Price note: 
By using a special code on the Native site, the first order you get can be 20% off (I get 20% off my next purchase as well). Which means the one stick at $13 would be $10.40 before any taxes. Plus, it's free shipping across the continental US for any order over $10. A subscribe and save would bring it down to $11, which is a 15% discount. 

Comparatively, Amazon has it for $12.97 regularly and before tax and shipping (if you are not a Prime member, otherwise it's just tax). Prime members can save 10% off the bat if they do subscribe and save, which makes it $11.67. 

In this case, Native site for the win? Especially since they have random sales (and for build your own 3 pack)?

I have tried other Native sticks before and have been completely fine with them. The only problem I have had was the Cactus Flower and Poppy scent damn near killed me (it's a seasonal scent that went vintage so it's not available now). The scent was just too overpowering that I couldn't wear it. It's worse than gardenia smell but was almost that level of headache inducing. Even a friend of mine (hi Erica) smelled it one day at work (I brought it in because I was telling her about it), and she had to take a step back after smelling it. She started coughing because it was that powerful. Because I couldn't return it, I'm now using it as a travel deodorant, so I only have to put up with the smell when I go on vacation. 

Otherwise, no problems with any of them - Cucumber Mint, Coconut Vanilla, Charcoal, Peppermint (seasonal) and Sweet Peach and Nectar. I've been in big box retailers and smelled the candy shop ones and refuse to buy those because they smell way too flipping sweet. I'd not be able to wear them due to it being headache inducing - sugar rush versus flower power smell. 

Which is why you've got to be so careful buying things online. I promise I'm not a paid advertisement for anything. I've just learned that you never know what you're getting online, but then again, if you have a known reaction to one brand, you have to try another. If you know one brand works better, you're literally going to buy out the product line when you see it. Which is what I've done with some stuff. I try one brand when it's on sale (after reading the ingredients), and if it works, I continue to look for it and purchase it when I see it. I'm not going to keep using things that make me sick, that's for sure. 

I guess to wrap things up and let all those who walked away for the TMI part, just because you want to go Earth Friendly / natural / limit your footprint / try new products, it doesn't mean it'll work. I hate knowing some things read "castor oil" because it just puts a bad image in my head, but that's just me. I need to find a product that won't make me break out in a horrible rash and make me smell like I've been at the gym non stop for a week (and haven't showered in between). Yet, I also need to possibly ask my doctor to give me an allergy test. Then I really know what I should and shouldn't buy. It might also help with some of the gurgles in my gut too. (LOL).

Until I can find an answer... stay clean.


Cheers;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!