Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Seems like a slow news month?

Considering nothing has been posted lately, it's either been a slow news month, or I just forgot to post a few words. Either way, at least I can come on and say "Happy Thanksgiving!" to the humans partaking in the National Turkey Day, and to those shopping for various deals online or in stores Thursday night and all day Friday.

For those who need their gifts 2 weeks ago, Amazon has been offering free shipping on eligible purchases this past week, in order to get Black Friday deals going.

I do have to say, I've been on Amazon this week because I'm watching some deals for a Canon DSLR bundle. I'm still on the fence about "needing" a new camera, but some of the bundles are under $500, so I don't know how great they are, considering the camera itself starts around that price. The add ons must be junk or something. I can't tell unless I spend a day reading reviews on the kits I would like. I've been thinking about a new camera lately, or at least the past few months; every time I go somewhere, people always what their pictures immediately, since I don't take photos on cell phones. I like the feel of a regular camera. I still think you do more with one, over a phone.  If I had a WiFi enabled camera, at least I could send the photos to my phone and share that way. Immediate enough, that people get the raw file and can stop abusing the privilege of having someone with a camera and is willing to take everyone's photo for free. What I've been looking at is the Canon Rebel T6i, for what it's worth.

However, every time I've logged in lately, I've seen some sort of advert for the smart lights, and how the Dot can attach itself and dim the room. I know the Echos have the capability if you buy a smart hub - I've seen it in person, and it's interestingly scary. Currently, there's a 2 pack kit being sold with an Echo Dot for $79.98. I guess what that means, is you get two smart lights, a dimmer and a Dot for that price.

What the Amazon page says about the two pack is:

"This bundle contains the Echo Dot (3rd Gen) and the Sengled Smart Color Lighting Starter Kit (2 A19 bulbs + hub)
Connect your smart lights to Alexa for easy voice control of your lights. Just ask, "Alexa, turn on the living room light"."

You do have to read everything carefully, because the starter kits are completely different from what is being offered.

For example:

  • 1 bulb is $22.49 and no hub or Alexa device (both are extra cost, individually).
  • The 2 pack starter kit is $59.62 and that includes 2 bulbs and a hub. No Alexa device.
  • A straight 4 pack of bulbs is $86.24, and no hub or Alexa device
  • And finally, for $104.99, you get four smart light bulbs and a hub. No Dot or other Alexa device. 


So if you're looking for the best deal, the 2 pack kit with the hub and Dot is the best out of these options, I think. At least it gets you started in lighting the house and if you don't have an Alexa device, welcome to the tech world?

Outside of all of this fun stuff, I haven't been too busy. I mean, I did go to a local theater at the end of October to see The Simon And Garfunkel Story and then last Saturday (the 17th) to see In Dreams: Roy Orbison In Concert - The Hologram Tour.

I do have to say, omfgjfc... I wanna go again!

The Hologram concert was fast, even for having Julian Frampton (yes, son of Peter) play an acoustic set for 30 minutes. He's actually pretty good, and I think he deserves his own credit, outside of the famous name. Armed with just a couple guitars, Julian took the stage like a champ. He cracked some forced jokes, but given the audience was all over 50, can you blame him for trying to find a commonality? People around me questioned why he was there, he wasn't that amazing. I'm like "be lucky there was an opening act and be lucky he did 4 original songs". The 2 covers were a Bill Withers (song name unknown to me) and Fleetwood Mac (Landslide). He nailed the Fleetwood Mac tune - like, dude has skill, nailed it. Outside of his backing band (who wasn't there), he sounds a little like John Mayer. With the band, it's a little folky, a little rocky, kinda late 90s vibe. Even though he has to be younger than me. Haha. He seems cool as all hell. I got a signed CD from him, shook his hand, and thanked him for performing. I was so nervous about meeting him, that I lost the nerve to make a comment about his dad. I ended up wishing him well in the tour and with his band instead of making a really cool suggestion about a new tour for his pops. Oh well... maybe if I ever get the chance to see him again and get another autograph, I'll make the comment and perhaps ask for a picture. That's the other thing I kicked myself for not doing.

The hologram is something of a different spectacle. It's basically a shortened "Greatest Hits" concert. Or: Half a hits album covered by Orbison and half covered by an Orchestra. Either way you call it, I can't believe we have the technology to (re)create such things. It was like Orbison was really on stage, even though he's no longer coming down for breakfast (as of December 6, 1988). To have grown up listening to Roy and not have seen him perform, this really was an adventure because it was everything I've ever heard and read about. I know it was a projected image, but he really lit up the stage in the fact that the hologram company seemed to have gotten every minute detail down. Between the tassels on the grey suit and the orange red guitar (with guitar cable looping on the floor), I was amazed how in the back of the house, I was able to see The Big O so clearly. With the orchestra playing behind him, there was no lack of audio on the singer's part. The only exception was a couple songs seemed flat. Meaning, it sounded like however they found the vocals, they didn't mix it down properly to sound great with the symphony. Like the band was outperforming the singer for a minute. It only dropped for a couple seconds in 2 songs. Not that I was noticing or counting. The other little thing (again, not that it was horrible and I was looking for something), was there was projection residue in the background. Over lit, under lit, however you want to describe it, I don't have the exact words. But there's Roy singing away with the orchestra, and he's sharp as a tack. In the darker toned lights (blues, crimsons), there was a light static image of him, blown up x10. Almost like someone moved a projector to the wall, unfocused it, and made it super light. The image was super imposed for a lot of the performance. At least, it was more noticeable when the bright movers weren't going and the drip lights weren't flashing.If the random audio drop and super imposed image were the only things wrong, I'll take it. I would see this again in a heart beat, no questions asked. I'm excited to see what the future can bring with other artists. Word on the street says the company that put this show on, is working on an Amy Winehouse tour???

The Simon and Garfunkel story on the other hand... it was alright, nothing to be like "yaaaasssss... more!!".

I've got some pictures to post, but they're not of either concert. It's actually of a statue of Mr. Edison on the grounds of the theater. Which is on the grounds of the local college. It's weird as hell to stumble upon, in the dark, when you least expect it.

 

 

 

 






















The other day I was heading to my car after work, when I found a tiny dinosaur trying to car jack my window.

 

 

 

 



And finally.....

Today, I joined Emily on an adventure.


We went on grill checks and found out that someone really got a little over zealous with the heat and their cooking. To the point that there's no food residue on the grates, but a burnt brush stuck on the center panel.

Honest to whatever cooking gods there are... someone tried flame broiling a grill brush.

 

 


How in the world do you "forget" there's a brush on an open flame? Is this the new way of making s'mores? If so, then I think I need to return my kit.

I guess that's it for now. I want to make sure I see Criminal Minds tonight since tomorrow is the big gobble day and American Horror Story is over. Emily will expect a text at some point to confirm I watched the show tonight.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, if I don't get on before the weekend.



Be good and don't stuff yourself too much... just make sure you have the fat pants ready...




Cheers;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!