Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Saturday, January 23, 2021

I did another expensive thing

I am the dumbest trucker on Earth. I attempted to hook up my Canon cameras (T7I and T3), my iPhone 11 to my Vizio TV (via the Apple Lightning to HDMI adapter. Yes I know the TV is getting old as dirt) and hoped to record a video of me using my new Apple Wireless Keyboard

Not surprisingly, I failed, as I am only uploading still photos of the keyboard and not an actual video. Why? Because I didn't have the batteries charged for the Canons and they both crapped out 30 seconds into my long but short winded blog post. 

Sucks to be me! I tell you, I can't win. But it's just as well, seeing how I was doing a lot of mistakes in the video as it is. 

#1: I started out in HTML mode, instead of Compose mode.
#2: I couldn't find how to make bullet points while editing. 
#3: I kept making glaringly wrong spelling mistakes. 
#4: I had written the following remark:
"I am also not used to a wireless keyboard and not looking at a screen for immediate typing. I am used to sitting at a computer and doing everything. Using a keyboard that is five feet away from the device and having to keep looking up and down at things is not normal for me"

Simply because I kept making mistakes. I was working in relative dark as it was. 

Some of the notes I'd like to keep from the post:

"As the new Apple Keyboard is flat, it is a challenge to make sure I am hitting all the right keys. I am sure people are watching the video, wondering what in the hell is wrong with me. I promise you, I’m not as dumb in this technology as I am making myself look."

Yea, moot point when there's no video to watch. Just imagine I was making mistakes, left and right. The truth also is, the keyboard is a lay flat keyboard. There are no little legs on the back upper corners to angle the thing downwards. So it was interesting to try to type where I'm used to a slight bend. 



"The keyboard I got in the mail today: I ordered it from Amazon, for $94, as it is currently on sale. I know I literally stole the last wireless keyboard for the price I paid, but it’s currently a discontinued model, and I inadvertently / accidentally dropped it on the floor last week, rending the power button sketchy as hell. Rather than try to seek out Apple Support, I decided I had enough gift cards left in my Amazon cache, I should upgrade." 

Because who wants to try to wait in an hour+ line at the Genius Bar to be told there's nothing they can do, except sell me the newer model? Or, they say they can fix the button... for half the price of what I've just paid Amazon.



"So I bought the rechargeable one, which comes solely with a lightning to USB charging cable (no charging brick, so you’re on your own), the keyboard was at 90% battery when I opened the package to sync it to my phone. 

It is nice, I give it that, but like the predecessor, I need a lot of practice on it. Obviously, in making this video, I am proving that I am not the smartest when it comes down to this stuff."

Again, moot point when there's no video to watch, but I'm trying to get the point across by keeping the text.




"I also bought a neoprene carrying case for the keyboard. I’m tired of it smashing against things, and maybe the case will help a little with dirt and dust and junk."

The neoprene case is located here. It's $9.99.





"The nice thing about this keyboard, that I noticed out of the gate? The power button. There’s an actual switch to turn the thing on, where the discontinued pad I had, had a side button that you had to press to turn it on. Any hard press on a key would wake up the keyboard, which wasn’t that amazing. That is why I took the 2 AA batteries out of it when I traveled. All I needed was the thing to turn on in a backpack, activate my phone and I can’t do squat until I shut off the keyboard.

Because the external keyboard has the option to hide the phone keyboard. Once activated, you cannot use the internal touch pads until you shut off the wireless device. By pressing the eject button on the wireless keyboard, I’m able to activate the internal phone keyboard or deactivate it, depending on opportunity."


This is one of those points that need a visual and I'm sorry I don't have one. But I'll see if I can have some time next weekend and charge the cameras and have another go at making a post. 

Until then, still photos or I'm not the brightest lamp on the shelf. 











Cheers; 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!