Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Tech doesn't die

... it just slowly becomes obsolete. 


Or mind boggling pain in the butt. 


This, coming from a person using a 10 year old Dell laptop ... that is quite literally grasping for straws (air) every time it's turned on. I could use an 8 year old HP laptop in place of this one, but I've got a few programs on my Dell where I've lost the serial number / code for and can't seem to find it in the user history.


But at any rate, I think either the (free) anti virus software that I installed on my computer is seriously blocking my WiFi printer (all of a sudden.. more on the new anti virus software in a minute) or the new Comcast modem is blocking my laptop from connecting to my printer. 


Last night I had to make my 3 year old (wireless) Canon IP7220 Wireless Color Photo Printer become a wired printer. 


As I went to link to it here, I noticed Amazon stopped selling this printer, but is not labeling it "discontinued by manufacturer". Maybe it's because they've still got "other sellers" who have one to buy (for crazy expensive costs)? Who knows, but maybe the Canon IP8720 Wireless Printer, AirPrint and Cloud Compatible printer is looking like it's the next best thing. No wonder why the IP7220 was under $70 when I bought it... it is an older model. This new model is just a few hundred dollars more, but has some updated features (better print rate, dpi... technical stuff that I can't begin to explain). 


Oh, and a little more research: The Canon website isn't selling it either. So maybe the IP7220 really is discontinued?? (see here)


I wanted a wireless printer that would print flawlessly... or close to it.. on CDs and DVDs I burn copy stuff I make use of. It's worked perfectly for my needs the past few years and the duplex mode is amazing as well. No need to have to pause paper printing to flip the page over and make double sided prints. Doesn't hurt that I finally figured out you can put legal paper in the bottom tray... not that I ever use legal paper, but the need can be there. Bonus is the top tray can hold photo paper and I keep a few blank 4x6 sheets loaded "just in case".


And the day after I figure the legal paper tray out, the wireless printer becomes wired. 


So... my anti virus program. Comcast stopped collaborating with Norton, so now it's a monthly fee. What used to be a nice package, I get pop ups saying "Norton Security has expired. Please obtain a contract" and Comcast had emailed users saying it was going away from all anti virus apps and doing it's own thing. Meaning, if you are a Comcast internet subscriber, they will cover you by watching your internet using. They have a way to monitor funny schemes happening on the interwebs and can block threats somehow. Anything you do that other anti virus and anti malware apps did for you, Comcast internal internet can do the same. Therefore, you don't need external programs... as long as you're connected to your Comcast internet, you're good for not worrying about an internet troll giving your device an STD. 


Anyway, I downloaded one of the more "famously unfamous" programs. One that people talk about but some IT professionals don't openly suggest. 


I see why. 


On one computer in my house, there's a daily reminder to upgrade to a premium version and why premium is way more powerful than the freebie version (my files are being saved from hackers, the 100+ broken registry items can be fixed, old software can be updated... as long as I pay this program to do it). The other computer, well, things are quiet. No message asking me to upgrade, no screen telling me I have 2 days left of a free trial... the only thing that's happening is I can't magically print all of a sudden. 


Like I said, I don't know if it's coincidence, or I'm just imagining things, but I did end up uninstalling the anti virus program and updated the Windows Defender program that comes stock with a Windows computer. So if it's the Comcast modem blocking my printing, it'll be another reason that I'll be damning Comcast later. 


Until I can really figure this out, it's like, why did it take me 3 days to have to uninstall the Pixma programs off my computer, reinstall them, and still have problems? Some weird reason, my computer isn't registering the fact I've got a wireless printer sitting right the hell next to it. It'll allow me to print with the USB cable, but it won't let me print without the cable. My fruit phone prints documents effortlessly to this printer, but when it comes time to have the Dell send information, nothing happens. I get an error message. Try reinstalling everything, the computer / network isn't seeing any viable printers. I'm getting an error message about no printer being seen on the network, yet I'm able to send a document to it via my phone... which makes sense it really is a modem issue and not a computer issue.


I really wish there was a way to trace the loose connection, but I'm not that bright and don't know computers that well to figure it out. Where's a nerd / geek / computer guru when you need one? 


Oh right, they're all up in New Hampshire and Massachusetts where I left them. 


Damn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!