Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Sunday, May 19, 2024

It's the songs we grew up with; it's embedded in our skull

Kind of.


Due to riding around the city with my windows down, I've not had my radio on super loud. It's been on like 5 or 6 because I can't hear great as it is, and I don't want to be one of those drivers who annoy the tar out of the person next to them at a light. There is no need for the entire block to hear what I'm playing, unless it is a really amazing song. 

So I keep my music to myself and I tend to keep the radio on low. 

Because of that, I don't pay attention to what's playing. Like I said, I've got no super powers in the hearing department, so I mainly recognize a song when I'm stopped at a light, since wind noise gets the best of conversations and music 9 times out of 10. 

That being said, the other day I was stopped at a light. I heard the low sounds of a harmonica in a certain way and knew instantly it was Blues Traveler's Run Around (track 1 off of 1994's Four). This is a song I ended up turning up a little so I didn't look too foolish singing along to. 

Yes, I'm one of those idiots who tend to sing along sometimes to good songs. 

It wasn't even like the point of the song was at the beginning. We're talking it's right smack in the middle when John Popper starts wailing into the chorus and then into the "Tra la la la la bombardier, this is the pilot speaking" verse. So it's almost near the end of the track.  

Run Around is one of those Blues Traveler songs that radios play a lot of. I want to say I've heard But Anyway (track 1 off Blues Traveler) and Hook (track 9 off the aforementioned Four) on occasion, but it's mainly Run Around. There's not too many "known" singles from the group unless you're going deep into other radio stations (not the run of the mill "we play everything!" station). 

I've got a few albums from the group and had the cassette tapes at one point in time, so I'm used to hearing their random stuff. It always surprises me when something is played, and I do tend to raise the volume a little bit. It was just that in this instance the other day, it was about 8:15 in the morning, 90+° and my coffee hadn't fully kicked in yet. And I must have looked like some addict talking to myself during the morning rush hour. 

It's funny but it's not. I know that. You do what you need to, to keep you sane. If headphones worked well, I'd listen to a podcast on my drive, but the wind noise is the same no matter if the radio is on or my headphones are in. It's a disruption regardless. That's also why I need to close the window if I've got someone in my car and they're talking to me about something. Happens to be that my hearing loss is on the right side of my head... just where people are sitting - passenger side. 

No, I've not tried hearing aids yet, although some people have asked me if I thought about cochlear implants - maybe that would work? That's a "no" too. I know I have problems, but I also haven't done research on anything. I guess, for lack of a better phrasing, I'm stubborn and don't want it. It's not like I'm too prideful or really too stubborn, but it's one of those things I know I'm probably going to need at one point later on and I just don't want to get anything yet. I know there's new technology out there for hearing aids, but I've also seen some negativity around it. We're there, but we're not there yet. I need my eyes fixed and my hearing fixed, and science needs to hurry up and create something before I dive into anything current. 

Call me crazy or whatever else you want. I know I'm being that way. But what are you going to do? I'll bide my time as everything gets worse and sit back to wait and see if better opportunities come along. 

Until then, enjoy the 105° humidity and turn up the bass a bit. 

Cheers;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!