Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Sunday, May 12, 2024

Stay relevant

I had emailed my cousin Brady last night about the blog post I did regarding the Indigo Girls. He had written back with some comments about how glad he is that I went and that he understands some of the things I said in the post regarding being a little nervous (or in his words, "apprehensive"). However, he is happy that I had gone (as am I). He also gave examples of his own adventuring and it got me thinking about some other items I didn't mention in the original post. 

The Indigo Girls are one of those bands whose music I've had since the 1990s. When I wrote about Amy and Emily performing songs from the vault, it was stuff like "Galileo", "Get Out The Map", "Go", "Shame on You", "It's Alright", "Gone Again" and other singles you forget about over the years because some are not radio ready, while others are. They can also be used in film and you don't realize it just yet. 

Some of these can be tracks that are on compilation records, such as Retrospective and The Essential Indigo Girls. Much like some of them are hit or miss to find (like the entire Come On Now Social album being one of those "used" CDs selling in places).  

All this talk about songs and missing out on life, I had spoken about the merch table and how it costs just as much as a ticket some times. 

The things I bought were 2 Lucy Wainwright Roche CDs (Little Beast and Lucy [this is an import from Japan on Amazon. Use your discretion if you buy it]). I'll be honest and tell you that I paid $40 total for both albums. They were the only discs being sold for Lucy. 

Unfortunately I don't remember all the discs for the Indigo Girls, but there was Look Long on CD and Vinyl. I think there was one or two individual albums (aka solo stuff) from both Amy and Emily. I really wish I remember what they were. 

Also on the merchandise table was an Indigo Girls trucker hat (in a cursive font), a canvas tote bag (same type of font), Look Long and Indigo Girls stickers, little trinkets and 3 different shirts. Two shirts were black and one was white. I don't remember the white one, but the black ones were definitely different. One had a half of a red guitar width wise across the chest and said "Indigo Girls" above the neck of the guitar. In tiny little writing was Amy and Emily's autograph etched in to the top of the sound hole. 

That is the one shirt I bought for 40 dollars. The bummer is that it's not "a tour shirt". Meaning, the image is the only thing on the shirt. Truth be told, none of the shirts had tour information on them. 

Trust me, I asked. 

I mean, if you're going to go to a concert and buy memorabilia, it should have the tour dates on it. 

Right....?? 

However, that can also go different ways, as db's Heathen tour shirt has Mansfield, MA on it (not Boston). That particular stop on the tour was at The Tweeter Center (aka Great Woods. It lasted a few years before it became Comcast Center and finally Xfinity Center. Let's play "the event space formally known as...". LOL). The tour was also with Moby as they were doing Area2 together that summer. I didn't get to go to Mansfield, as I was in summer school (yes, I took Saturday summer school classes). So when the tour came back around to the Orpheum (a few months later), they never bothered to change the shirt. 

So yeah, it can be a double edged sword, seeing musicians and buying the swag. 

Back to Tuesday.

I was tempted on getting the other black shirt, which had white writing on it. It was a rip on the "My Brain is Like 90% Song Lyrics". The difference is, this band shirt said something like "My Brain is like 90% Indigo Girls Lyrics". 

Don't quote me on that because I know I'm misquoting it myself. 

But now that I think about it, having had an email conversation with my cousin, I wish I bought that shirt when I bought the other one (so total would have been $80 if I bought both. We're now over the limit of the concert ticket plus I'm in a better seat, for those keeping monetary track). I debated the purchase on the night of, and now it's something I know I should have gotten. I didn't realize how true to form that idea really is (mostly). 

Also, the same concept can be said about Bowie songs too. So it’s not like it’s just one band. I’m too overloaded with random / useless trivia. 

When some of the older songs were played, I had completely forgotten about them. There is one song that wasn't sung, and that's "Chickenman" off of Rites of Passage (track 9). I laugh because this song is so obscure and so not even on anyone's radar, yet, I've got this rubber chicken keychain that's been hanging out in my car since 2001 (the release date on the Amazon keychain says 2021, but trust me, there are other vendors who sell the exact same one. I remember explicitly it was in 2001 when I got him). I named him Chickenman, after the song. 

He was originally on the zipper pull of a hoodie before someone (not me) broke him off. Don't ask me why he was a dangler on a hoodie, but I rocked the hell out of it. Once he broke, he jumped in my car and has been my riding mate ever since. 

So  another squirreled post that proves that there are times in your life where you need to just grab the poultry by the chain and run with it... almost like saying "commit or GTFO". 



Needless to say, I should have bought the shirt. 



Oh well. 


#noregerts. 😏


Cheers;








#KofiSocialChallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!