Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Sunday, October 6, 2024

This keeps up, Florida will be severed at its base

We're in for another round of storm surging this week. 

Tropical Storm Milton is on his way from visiting Mexico and is coming east to sit on top of the entire state of Florida over the next few days. By Thursday, he should be swimming into the Atlantic and dissipating into the ocean. 

What this means for me is, it's going to be another great start to the work week; watching the weather and worrying about how we will be affected. Right now, reports are Milty could strengthen enough to become a category three by Tuesday and when / if he hits us on Wednesday, he could be a 4. 

It figures we get this, as my mother and I went grocery shopping yesterday and bought frozen meals for the week. I was planning on lunches for work, and when we got home, my mom's friend called. Asked if we watched the news, and my mom said no. Friend said Milton is on his way to us. My mother said she checked the news around 6 in the morning (friend called around 12:30) so she didn't see any updates. 

Well, she immediately turned on the TV and got an update. 

As we are in the cone (like the rest of the state), it doesn't look good. Especially since the states that border this one are still picking up from Helene, just last week. 

How quickly we jumped from the letter "H" to the letter "M". I know we had a "K" for a moment, but hot damn. If we keep getting repeatedly banged by hurricanes, Florida will soon be cut off from Georgia and Alabama and it'll become it's own island. Wasn't California supposed to have been the first one to do that??? With all their wildfires and earthquakes... the burning and shaking should have ripped them away already. Yet, their weather conditions said "nope; Florida's gonna do it first". 

So what this means for us is that the shutters are up as of last night, the extra phone chargers are out (and will be plugged in tomorrow morning, hopefully), my tub will be filled with water, all the other things we need will be pulled out of the hurricane supply box. We just wait and see what happens.

It could very well be that we get just the storm surge and rain like we did for this last round, or, we get something as bad as Ian in 2022. It's such a crap shoot because you just never know how these storms are going to turn. Which is all the more reason the cold and snow look so much more inviting!!! I'm always going to say that, and I don't care. If I get to move back there, I'll gladly suffer because you put your life more at risk in a hurricane than a blizzard. 

Sure, power goes out and it's below freezing and you can die from hypothermia, but if you prepare well enough, you can survive it. Hurricanes bring 10 or more feet of water inside buildings. Look at Tennessee and all the other states that got decimated by Helene - videos are posted of entire towns that don't exist anymore. The floodwater wiped them off the map. I saw a video of an entire family and friends in their living room, all chest deep in water. The pets were on floating boards so they could stay dry. Yes, those people are alive, but until that water recedes, that's no way to survive this. But what are they to do? It's so crazy. 

I really hope one of the predictions we get is all we get - just 5 straight days of rain and nothing else. However, that being said, if there's no stopping of that cloud water, the ground is going to become so saturated, that it will create more flooding; they will be no where for the ground water to go. Which means it's going to add inches to any storm surge we may get. My low lying car (Hyundai Accent) can only take so much. Maybe this is a sign to not only get a higher vehicle (I'm still too little and fat for a souped up pickup truck. Plus I ain't no FloGrown country kid. I've got no need for that) but it's a sign to attempt to move out of this area when / if everything dries out?

Regardless of questions, I'm going to end it here for now, and start getting some other things done. I'll update when I can and if I get pictures, I will post them. 

Stay safe;

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!