Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Sunday, October 9, 2011

No... wire... hangers


Actually, I wish I had a wire hanger... or two. Just to throw out my window.



There is a Planned Parenthood in a small plaza about 3 blocks or so from me. Every time I drive by it during daylight hours, there are at least 6 people at the corner with anti-abortion signs. We're talking "PRAY FOR UNBORN BABIES” as well as “PRAY FOR THE MOTHERS”, (two signs from today), “UNBORN BABIES HAVE RIGHTS TOO”, “WOMEN ALWAYS REGRET ABORTIONS”. There are quite a few more signs that people stand around holding. And these are not just any people; I’ve seen young, old, white, black, hoity-toity (seriously – the girl was probably early 20s, Gucci mini hand bag, full Prada shades, shorty shorts, flip flops), you name it, people are there.



I guess I’m spoiled. When I went to college in Brookline, there were always Jews for Jesus on the streets around Coolidge Corner. Sometimes the Hare Krishnas in the city, all looking for converts. But to see the anti-abortionists is new to me. One would think that living in a major city (Boston) for four years, everything would be seen. Especially since I’ve trolled some of the slums of the Dirty Bean at night. So weird.



But at any rate, is it bad that I want to just buy a package of wire hangers and start throwing them out my window at the people? Sure, this is America, and citizens have a right to protest. But, this location is so centralized with plastic surgery, eye surgeons, hearing centers; all things that we believe to better our physical appearance, no one thinks to check the clinic. I know, women get abortions on the time and it’s still a touchy subject, but it’s not even like it’s in a busy place. Yes, it’s across from the plastic surgery and day spa building as well as a regular day spa, but it’s in the same parking lot as a Subway, Smoothie King and Yo! Taco. I mean, what gives?



I don’t know. It’s one of those situations that needs more information and more thinking over. But it peaks my curiosity as far as the fact there are always 6-8 people standing outside on the street corner with signs, not even paying much attention to the area, or even causing attention. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say they were at the wrong place. As it is, it took me a good month to Google the plaza to find out there is in fact a Planned Parenthood (true story – I searched it yesterday).



I want feedback. Lemme know what your thoughts are… good or bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!