Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Saturday, February 25, 2023

Everything will be okay?

I have been meaning to take a picture of a sign that's by the exit of my community since it was staked in the grass after the Hurricane. 

Well, four months (?) later, I finally went and got it taken care of. 




"Everything Will Be Okay 💓" it reads, but I don't know who has printed and distributed it among communities, because I've seen it in other places. 

While I was at the corner, I decided to take photos of what the area outside my door still looks like. Including the plaza across the street getting a new roof, tarps still on other buildings (including the clubhouse at my community) and as I was standing in various spots, a few birds flew by - both metal and feathered. 




























Plus, I decided to capture the moon.








Yes, its out in full force. 

I did some editing on them (like I did on the plane ones too). The darker images are on auto edit and the lighter  / what looks like nothing has been touched is the original. 

There's a downed sign by the exit too.




It says "WARNING: Unlicensed contracting is a felony during the existence of a state of emergency" and lists a phone number to call to "report Unlicensed Activity" and says what Florida statute its referencing.

To give context to the FEMA sign, the library located at the next intersection has been "hosting one of Lee County's Multi-Agency Resource Center (MARC) and FEMA’s Disaster Recovery Center to aid residents impacted by Hurricane Ian". So the library is still closed. They still don't know when it'll reopen as the library, as someone said there was also some internal damage to the facility they need to work on. Which doesn't make sense if FEMA and MARC are there.

To give other context to the lights - like most intersections, the one leading out is still mising some signage (left turn only, no U-turn, etc). Plus not all lights are hanging on the line. Arrow only lights are missing along with multiple lights - some lines had 3 hanging instead of one or two. 

The fence on the way out looks like it's been partying a little too much... someone needs to straighten it out. 




Since the plaza across the street needs a new roof, a construction company has been working on it all day. It's now getting late in the afternoon, so they are taking a break before they wrap up for the day.







They are dressed head to toe in long sleeves and pants, in the 90° heat. But they need to be fully covered since they are on a roof dealing with plywood, nails and other miscellaneous hazards. I was sweating when I took the photos prior to the roofers, but I'm also a fat kid out in the sun. To each his own. 

All photo taken with a Canon EOS Rebel T7i DSLR. It's no longer available as "new" on Amazon, as it's an older model. To get the zoomed in photos, I used Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens. Edited it all on Photoshop CS5 (no longer available except subscription) and uploaded here. 

Overall, the city is still has a lot of destruction in some places. A neighbor said today, that he took a friend over to Sanibel the other day and it was so sad and heartbreaking because you can finally get across the bridge but there's literally nothing there. You finally get to go there to see what's going on and it's still completely in ruins. The same goes for Fort Myers Beach. "Times Square FMB" is still looking like the day after the world ended. The whole area won't be tourist ready for years to come, unfortunately. I don't like to always link to other news outlets, but the NY Times has an interesting write up from the 13th of this month - ‘There’s No Spring Break Here’: Florida’s Gulf Coast Fights to Rebound After Hurricane Ian. I am not a subscriber to the paper, but I had seen the article at work the day it was printed. 

I have an update for the Hotwire situation, but that'll be another post, as I think I've written enough for today.

I'll catch up with the internet thing another day. 

Cheers;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!