Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Sunday, June 18, 2023

I feel completely stupid

I was just going to post this elaborate gripe about losing the ability to use my Bluetooth Mouse on my iPhone, when I went into the Accessibility setting and fixed the problem. 

For context (and the basis of what would have been the complaint):

The other day I went to do a factory reset on my iPhone for a randomly crazy reason. 

Keep up with the logic here: We all know Apple got rid of the 3.5 headphone jack and started packing an adapter for those who still want to use wired headphones. Or, you buy the dongle somewhere else. So the Apple Certified 3.5mm lightning adapter I have been using finally crapped out and the three pack I bought "just in case" at second hand liquidation place, come to find out, aren't really Apple Certified. Thus my phone sees the connection as a "Dock Station" and I can't use it with wired mic headphones like I have been. 

Although, I must admit, I don't have to keep the volume on super high with this dock adapter. Which is very nice. But I lose the ability to answer the phone or make calls because the adapter is solely for active audio listening. 

When I finally completed resetting everything, I wanted to use the Apple Magic Keyboard and Logitech M535 Bluetooth Mouse (which is currently not available in black, but blue is) to enter in all my passwords for all the apps. 

Well, guess what. 

The mouse failed to connect. 

A pop up told me something, I forget what now, but the end result was that I had to "forget device" because it wouldn't work otherwise. Since then, I've tried and I've tried to connect the phone with the mouse and everything is failing. I even spent hours Googling it what to do and nothing is coming up. 

My first instinct, and the reason I wanted to make the post, is that it seems that no one is using the mouse since the iOS 16 update, or surely there'd be comments somewhere. 

There are no comments, sadly, and mainly because I'm a 30 watt bulb among a 100 watt 10 pack, apparently. 

I had Assistive Touch on, but I needed to reset some of the settings within that control, in order to make the mouse work. 

I don't know what made me check the internet about Assistive Touch, because I know in the past I've had to have the thing on in order to use the mouse. Even after doing a basic network reset, I still couldn't figure it out. 

So off I went to see Assistive Touch.

Steps taken for anyone else who may want to use a mouse or have this problem:

* Go to Settings
* Accessibility
* Touch
* Turn on AssitiveTouch
* While in that screen, click on Devices
* Next screen is "Bluetooth Devices..."
* Make sure the mouse is circling to find your phone
* Click on mouse so both things pair. 

From there you can tinker with other settings to make it all more personal, including the AssistiveTouch circle to fade to 15% in the background (which is nice).

Getting the mouse back makes me hopeful the USB dongle will come back to life at some point. I'm now just mad about the wired headphones thing. I'm glad I didn't get the three pack on Amazon (so buyer beware - the pack I linked to above is only good to listen to music. You can not make phone calls needs to have its title fixed. Always do your due diligence and research things or suffer the wrath of it not working. 

Until something else goes sideways, I'm off to finish watching Don't Breathe 2 because it's been on pause for over an hour and I've got thirty minutes left. 

Stay safe.

Cheers;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!