Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Saturday, January 19, 2019

If it's new and improved, what's the difference?

I got the Bohemian Rhapsody (The Original Soundtrack) out of the library today.

My window is open. I think I scared the crap out of the neighbor, because I heard her yell "hey!" when it started playing. Can't help it, lady; you and your husband are the snowbirds that come down twice a year for a week solid, and expect things to be okay. You're outside the shared (public) walkway, sunbathing in a beach chair. I can see your feet as I type this. Plus, how many times has your husband been standing outside my window at night, having a cigarette? Tough stuff. Let's talk when y'all are full time residents. 😆

I ordered a carrier pouch for my 30oz to freedom Yeti today. At $8.99 for two of them, it seems like a rather good deal, since it's neoprene and those suckers seem to last. Unless you take a sharp object to it and shred it up.

The reason for the two pack is quite simple: I was trolling the Amazon Giveaway page and clicked on 30 oz Tumbler tumbler with lid and straw. You never know about winning, until you try. Especially since this will be the 5th thing I've gotten in the giveaway section.

Why didn't I buy something "normal" for the tumblers (once I get the new one)? To price compare, and a general FYI, the plastic handles that you can find for Tervis cups can start at $10, for one. The Yeti can start at $9.99 for one. Yet, I'm finding the generic handles for all tumblers starting at $4.99, but the neoprene case still seems like a good deal; solely based on it's a two pack (essentially making it $4.495 a piece). I should be getting it on Monday and I hope it works, as it's supposed to fit all types of tumblers. I'm tired of having to carry my bright pink cup by its' rim everywhere. It makes things "Awkward AF" because I actually spilled my water one day last week. In slow motion, I saw the cup go tumbling down and when it crashed on the floor (carpet), the lid popped off and I lost a lemon and lime, plus all the ice and water. And this was at 8:30 in the morning; I still had 8 hours of work left. No, the cup wasn't damaged - I've taken my monster truck golf cart up a hill at a fast rate before, and the cup has flown off the cart and onto the grass, and nothing damaged it. Had I been on gravel, I don't want to think about it. Especially after what happened to my iPhone last year (long story and another post in its entirety).

So... Fingers crossed everything works.

Especially since another option was paracord, but they can start at $4.99 a piece. Which isn't bad, by any means, as some art fairs around here are selling them for $20 or more. One woman I work with, bought hers for $22 (from someone who was making them to raise money for the latest hurricane relief efforts up in the Florida Panhandle), while I went to a fair and someone is selling one for $25 or two for $45 (it was Christmas "sale". *rolls eyes*). It's nice, but if I can find the black center cord these people are using, I can be making my own. I've already got the paracord and make my own key chains, bracelets and such. My next step would be the handle if I could get it sorted out. I once sent a large necklace to a friend. I think her kid used it as a belt of sorts. LOL.

I've finished listening to the soundtrack and the neighbors are back inside. Must be an hour later, then. But it's taken me that long to research everything I'm writing and I also got sidetracked for 10 minutes, putting other things into my library queue online. This proves I can't be distracted by other means. Haha.

Anyway, the whole basis of wanting to write something (aka the title of the post) is because (in reference to the pouch I bought) I saw that the Echo Dot I bought in November has been discontinued.

Rather, it's "currently being sold, used, from $17.04" for the black and $19.99 for the white.

Don't believe me? Check out the screen grab.


Although... the header is still listing the 2nd generation as $24.99, but brings you to the "used" page.





Amazon is toting the 3rd generation Echo Dot right now, and it's on the "cheap" - $29.99. However, the charcoal is out of stock until February 10, the heather grey is out of stock until February 28, and the sandstone is out of stock until February 7. Which only raises the question: Are they planning for a 4th generation, and what will it look like? What will the upgrade be - how beneficial is it, since the "majorly minor" difference between the second and third generations were microphone placements and lack of microphones (2nd had seven 3rd has four). I haven't fully researched the differences between the two, as my mother loves her hockey puck and I'm still indifferent towards it. I think I'm the one using it most mornings, however, and finding little quirks with it.

Like the cooking playlist and the 90s grunge. Wonder what happens if I ask for something more obscure? Then again, I asked it to "play music inspired by the movie 'Some Like It Hot'" and Alexa had nofa king idea what I was asking about. How does a smart device not know the Billy Wilder film? Does she not even know the phrasing "Some Like It Hot"? By any other conditions, jazz has inspired a ton of sound within the last hundred years. Why does this not compute?

How about when Alexa told me that I can't listen to the Godsmack version of 'Come Together' in its' entirety? Will a new Dot allow me the opportunity, or will it automatically charge my credit card? Yes, the 2nd generation gives the option for voice purchases, which I disabled during installation, but there may be a day when I'd be re-ordering something, so I would enable it. Until that happens, no random spending!! Thanks 😁

I think that's it for now. I just wanted to point out that the streaming device I bought 3 months ago is discontinued. Chalk this up to "technology changes every ~6 months"?


Cheers;






See Also (aka tumbler handles - references):

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!