Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Thursday, January 3, 2019

Who curated this noise?

This morning I was doing my normal "breakfast" routine: Cup of coffee (some sort of Coffee-mate creamer and breakfast blend coffee), and a protein / vitamin shake (with peanut butter powder) because I typically don't eat breakfast. The shake fills me up until lunch time (about six hours) when I have my Yeti willed with water all day.


While I was getting everything ready, I figured I would ask Alexa to play cooking songs. Why not, right? I'm making "breakfast" before I start my day... might as well get some fun tunes playing.

Well... whoever curated the playlist, sure doesn't live in my house. Or in some of my friends' houses.

Whatever algorithms the geniuses behind the music use, I was quite surprised to get very "dinner date" type music. Like, you're on a hot date with someone for the second or third time and you want to keep the chemistry going a few dates longer, cooking playlist.

Here's what went down at 7:30 this morning:

Me: "Alexa, play cooking music."
Alexa: " Playing 'Pop For Cooking' with Amazon Music"
-Enter first track-

Youngblood by 5 Seconds Of Summer infiltrate the speakers on the hockey puck. Okay, that's a weird start. Almost 3 and a half minutes later, New Rules by Dua Lipa starts playing. What the hell.... this is stuff to cook by? I want fun pop; not "you plan on spending the night?" pop.

I love the tag line - "Turn up the heat in the kitchen with these pop beats"... yeah, if I had access to Amazon's web page, to search for some music, I'd not have chosen this playlist... since (I feel) it even suggests that you are having a private party of two in your place.

Yes, everything is in the eyes of the beholder, and everyone's taste in music is different. Sure, I'm not up to snuff on the new music of today's world, but there has to be more "friendlier" music to put on a playlist, then Pull Me Deep by Logan Henderson while I pour my coffee. Taken literally or figuratively, I guess it works to an extent; but as a whole, the entire cooking playlist screams "dinner date" to me, instead of "madness in the kitchen making a mess with the pots and pans. Ingredients everywhere!".

I guess I should have asked for the 50 Great '50s Rock 'n' Roll Songs playlist, the 50 Great '90s Alternative Songs playlist, the Laid Back Jazz playlist or even the Mellow '70s Gold. The latter two are more "Sunday Morning | Brunch" type songs, but the four playlists listed, are significantly smoother / more settling (and better) than what was being heard in my house for 15 minutes this morning. 

I don't know if I can change my mind over the playlist presented by the "music experts". I may listen to a lot of music, but do not call my self a true fan of everything. I have my personal favorites (5 more days and it's a week of an artist and their tour shirts. Hint hint), but I'm not actively seeking today's "best of the best". I have some film scores and some hoppier music in my cache, but I'm not looking for discographies. Today's singles work just fine. At least I can say "I've heard it a couple times" and not gush over when the tour is coming.

Although.... if the Goo Goo Dolls come back to this corner of the world, I'm in!!!!
(so pissed I missed them in 2011).


Until I can make up my mind on what I truly want to listen to, behave and be well.


Cheers;







See Also (aka exact stuff I use in the morning):
Shake stuff:


Coffee stuff:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!