Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Monday, December 5, 2022

So much for "notice"

 My mother and I were a little busy for most of the day on Saturday. There was a community wide yard sale happening and we were taking advantage of selling (we brought back in the house as much as we brought out, it seems, even though "for a yard sale" we made out pretty good.. for not selling big items). By the time it was over and we dragged everything back in the house, it was after 12:30pm  (we had been out since 6am setting up as the doors usually open at 7 even though it was supposed to be 8). We brought a few baskets of stuff to a thrift store and came home. Showered, ate lunch, crashed on the couch and watched some shows we had recorded Thursday and Friday. 

It wasn't until close to 8pm when my mother checked her Facebook to see there is a boil water notice for parts of Fort Myers. Here, we had had a few glasses of water, taken showers, done other things... and we had no clue there was a notice. However, the post she saw, said it was supposed to be over and done with by Saturday night, even though it wasn't clear which parts of the city it was in.

Sunday we wake up, do our thing. Coffees, smoothie for me. Showers. Ice water throughout the day. Brushed our teeth. We had business as normal. 

About halfway thru the day (closer to after 2pm), I was on my phone. I stumbled on a Google search about "Fort Myers boil water" (talk about Google giving you hyper local search stuff, and I wasn't even looking for that). I clicked on the first article I saw, and it was a direct link to one of the local television stations. It said that there was a boil water notice for all of Fort Myers and they don't know when it'll be fixed. It was closer to the other end of the city, but as a precaution, everyone needed to be mindful.

Oh gee, thanks for all the alerts in the world, Lee County. I thought there was some set up where the county would send out messages of "important" things? Especially if you're not actively looking online or watching the news.

So we really didn't think about it until this morning, when my mother said she saw on Facebook (again) that the notice is still out there. We should use some bottled water until it's lifted, and something was said about it going until tomorrow. 

Which means it's a bigger deal than I guess they anticipated. My job is near the area they're working on, I think, but it might not really effect me as the company is shutting the water off this week anyway. They're doing something on the pipes in the building so we're going to be on a skeleton crew (they encouraged people to work from home, but those who aren't set up or can't, must be in the building. That includes me... I must be there). 

It feels we've got residuals from the hurricane with the notice. I don't know any of the details why there is a city wide notice, so it's only my thought / speculation, but maybe it's still hurricane related. Who knows. 

All I know is that it's time for me to get ready for work and I hope it'll all be worry free the rest of the week....


Cheers;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!