Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Saturday, December 9, 2017

'For a limited time only'

I was on Amazon the other day, looking for some fancy cooking helpers everyone is raving about (Silicone pot lids), when an advert for an Echo and Smart Plug bundle came across the header of my Amazon page.

Yes, I'm back on the Echo Dot questionable bandwagon. 

According to the "limited time only", ridiculously low price tag of $34.99 (normally $89.98, but still "$17.99 less than buying separately"), the Echo Dot (2nd Generation) - Black + TP-Link Smart Plug works like what I originally was questioning. There's the hockey puck of the Dot (seriously, it's just a mere couple millimeters bigger than a hockey puck) that  allows you to ask  Alexa to order pizza or play some hot jazz, but when you add the Smart Plug, Alexa can turn your microwave on and reheat your tea.



Or maybe not. Maybe she'll do that in the next generation.There's still the Bradbury smart house to catch up to, however... 

Still.. Alexa can "switch on the lamp before getting out of bed, turn up the thermostat while reading in your favorite chair, or dim the lights from the couch to watch a movie—all without lifting a finger…or even raising your voice. Control multiple devices at scheduled times or with a single voice command, like locking the doors and turning off the lights when you go to bed.

Echo Dot works with smart home devices such as lights, switches, TVs, fans, thermostats, and more from Philips Hue, TP-Link, Sony, ecobee, WeMo, SmartThings, Insteon, Lutron, Nest, Wink, Honeywell, and more", according to a piece of description. 

"There's an app for that" the joke answer which seems to be the common answer to all smart phone challenges. It looks like most of the Smart Plugs mention that the specific-to-the-plug app allows you to control your house devices when traveling. I can't talk about that piece because I don't have a Dot or Smart Plug and I haven't traveled enough to question it. I only know the plug and hubs allow you to turn your house / dorm into a small future society.

I have to be honest; as great as these smart devices make everything look, the random drive by that can happen is not on my top #want list (not to be confused with the Funko Pop want list I've got going on Pinterest. If only I had the space... I need to complete the Labyrinth figures. I've already got Ludo... Haha). Once the security flaws get fixed, maybe then I'll think about purchasing whatever upgraded Echo is out, as I did give in and start my free Prime trial...



See Also:






"Hot Jazz" keyword search

Funko Pop Labyrinth search

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!