Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Monday, December 17, 2018

"Reach out and touch faith"

Well; I'm glad I live in a gated community. It helps random people get to my front door and ask me if I'm a Belieber believer.

I'm not talking about when a Monkee wanted to attempt to leave a girl. Or me attempting to be one of those people who believe in life after love.

I'm talking about the blurry line of personal, sometimes confrontational, door step spam (also known as "not so fun ding dong ditch"): ye old Jehovah's Witnesses.


Huh?


I got a letter in the mail today. It was handwritten and had some (unknown to me) address on it. Some person named Trudy Davis was sending me a small token of appreciation.

What was in this letter (with the post mark of December 14)?

A nice piece of cursive information, telling me all the wonders of what the closest JW building can do for me. How all my questions on deities can be answered by attending a meeting, of which I'm being invited to (by way of the flyer).

Ok, Trudy Davis. You found my name and address in some sort of public records, but why supply two different JW addresses? Did y'all move? Why, if you took the time to write me such an exquisitely penned letter, did you put two different "temple" addresses in it?

What if I don't want to attend? Sure, I'm giving you publicity by uploading proof you wrote me, but I don't feel compelled by any means to attend your function hall. I have my own system of wonderment, and nothing in my daily routine tells me to hang out at a religious support group. I don't even attend anything (that the religion I was raised in) puts on. Why should I come to you? The deity knowledge bestowed upon me in my youth was well enough to put me on some track for my adulthood. If I never have to enter any type of religious building for services (other than an anonymous support group), ever again,  I'll be good. 

As it is, I work for a place that loves them their Christmas decorations. I may not partake in their weekly services, but I know how to politely smile and say "Thank you, you as well" when someone says "God Bless" or "Merry Christmas". It's one of those things that my indifference can make me either fall trap and say the phrase back, or smile and nod, claiming religious naïveté.

I don't know everything, nor do I pretend to. As Emily likes to (now) joke with me: I don't drink, but I know things (this was one of the first comments I made to her in a text). I only know small things, but I try.

So I tried to get things uploaded here.

The letter, the pamphlet.









Plus two pictures I took of part of the main church manger at work.

I keep meaning to post them, and haven't. I'm bad. One is of baby Jesus, which my mom says "how is he all dressed and looking like a toddler? Isn't he supposed to be a newborn wrapped in a blanket?". I was like "ma, he's here. He's dressed for Florida winters. He looks a little fabulous, and I don't know if we can change that", and she just "lol"'d.





The other is of a cow. Yes, a cow. Of which Emily refused to sit on and get her picture with. It didn't stop her from standing next to it and getting a selfie, but she refused to actually take it for a ride across the street. What we do for entertainment... We're just a couple of kids having fun at work. Haha.




That's about it for now. I'm making attempts to multi task and I think I need to restart my computer. Apple automatic downloads for iTunes and iCloud fail most days now, so I think I need to get that fixed.

Until then, take care of your thoughts and lock your mailboxes.


Cheers;














See also (aka the title reference):
Depeche Mode: Personal Jesus (2006 Remastered Version)



See also (aka song lyric references):
The Monkees: I'm A Believer
Cher: Believe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!