Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Saturday, July 22, 2023

A hard rain's gonna fall

 Or Faul, if you're listening closely to what I've got on in the background of the video. 

Every day this past week, it's been threatening rain. The skies have been dark, the thunder has been rolling, but rain has not so even dripped at my house.. it's been more of a threat on the other side of the city. We get a blip of a wet at work, but it's over before I leave for the day and my mom says I'm crazy for saying "it's raining" when all she gets is thunder. I tell her "it's coming", but it turns around and goes somewhere else. 

All Florida friends keep wondering when the storms from the Caloosahatchee are going to move closer to us, as it's getting a wee bit dry in our neighborhood. As much as we don't want the flood, we do need the rain to cool everything down. It's for the better of the area. 

Yes, it's July. We are two months in to hurricane season. If you believe the natives, we're actually 3 months in because some people believe that May 1 is the official start. August and September are the real times of the season when things get rough - more threats for bad things to happen during this time than it does any other time of the summer. School starting is the hype mode for hurricanes. It's at the point now when I know when school starts if we get a constant stream of "we're watching X Storm" on the news. Gone are the days when you can set your clock to MTV's music award show in September to know we're back learning our ABCs. 

With the Gulf and Atlantic still super warm (95°+ in the water for a week straight), everyone is worried about what could strengthen and come to us if we're not paying attention. It's been over 110° with humidity in some places, so all the more reason we'd like some rain for a minute. 

Well, a barrage came yesterday. At full force. Coincidently on my way home from work.

I had to be careful because it was coming down so hard and fast, that my wipers couldn't keep up with it and all the big cars around me (trucks, vans, etc. I drive a Hyundai Accent. Welcome to the south, y'all) were creating waves and splash zone splashes on me. 

This in turn hindered my driving in some low lying spots. There was one point where a truck passed me on the left (I was in the middle lane) and he hit a puddle. It hit me so hard with so much water, the water blanketed my car and it was worse than going through a car wash. I could not see at all; it was as if I drove right into the ocean. 

I'm lucky it didn't cause an accident because there were cars in back of me and to the right of me. From what I could tell, some Jeep Wrangler literally stayed in my trunk for part of the ride. Once he merged to his area exit, a minivan took his place. 

So trying to make videos to send to my friends, probably wasn't the smartest thing to do. At least I wasn't holding the phone it was in a holder suctioned to my window and out of a spot where it would be a distraction. 

Therefore, I've strung the videos together using Pinnacle Studio but I recorded on an iPhone 11 since the phone is my main phone. 




Always something different. I started my day soaking wet. Long story short, a hose at work was causing a flood outside and when I went to tell HR and help them find a shutoff valve, the pressure of it being shut off, caused the hose to stop spraying the ground and stick straight up. It hit the building overhang above me, and came down with gusto. I ended up having to go home, shower, change, and get stuck behind an accident coming out of my community. Get to work, do my thing, get stuck in the rain coming home. So I ended my day wet. 

Never fails. At least today it's back to the normal heat and humidity. 

Until I can sort out a better situation of things and not try to get stuck in crazy weather, take care of yourself. 

Cheers;





See Also:
* Title comes from Bob Dylan's A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall off The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan album (track 6)
* Paul or Faul. Take your pick because I'm on chapter 52 or close to it, on the The Memoirs of Billy Shears: The Nine After 9-09 Edition audiobook. Close to being done in the first round of listening! 
* The phone holder I use in my car is the iOttie Easy One Touch 5 Dashboard & Windshield Universal Car Mount. It's suctioned on the glass, and I use it for maps on my phone. Every once in a while, a video. I don't make it a habit. I need it more for telling me how to get places. Problem in Florida heat, is that my phone starts getting overheated if I've got it in the holder. 95° beaming down on a phone is not so smart. 
* The software used to edit the videos -  Pinnacle Studio 26 Ultimate
iPhone 11 is what I recorded on because it is my main phone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!