Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Sunday, July 30, 2023

I've just seen a face...

As proven with this morning's post, you never know what you'll find in the Tropics of the United States (thanks Tay for that new nickname). 

I was walking out to check the mail since we didn't check it yesterday and I happen to look to my left. As the condos have banks of mailboxes rather than a single box at the end of your driveway, everyone has to walk a bit further to see if they got a letter from someone. So as I'm midway to the box, as I said, I looked left. One of the neighbors had something trying to get into their garage. 




From a distance, it looked like a rock was set in front of the garage. Me with my thick glasses wasn't paying much attention, but I had my phone with me this time, so I meandered up to the thing to see what it was. 






It wasn't a rock. Or a coconut (says my mom). It's a turtle. A good sized one to boot. With bryophytes basicladia chelonum growing on its shell.







A rolling stone gathers no moss, but a roaming turtle does (grow algae)? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Off I went, snapping photos of what I think is a snapping turtle (word on the social networks is that a snapper is cruising the block), being careful not to anger it and get clapped at. I showed the photos to my mom and told her who's unit this is, and she said that she doesn't think the owners are here this week (oh, to take a vacation from the heat! Must be nice). If they are out and about somewhere else, this guy can keep on moving to the next unit and not worry that he'll get run over. 

Eventually he'll make it to one of the lakes in the community. Just might be a while. In the 5 minutes I was out, he didn't seem to want to move. It is 96° with humidity after all. Fingers crossed he makes it to water before he becomes partially cooked and someone finishes the job by making soup and jerky. Least he travels with his own baking materials? 

Yea, I'm dumb. I know that. Tasteless joke at the reptile's expense. But someone has to make the comments. At least I left him alone and didn't try to do anything to him.

Unlike what Edward and Tubbs could have done.




Ok, off I go before I make another remark... 


Cheers;





See also:
* The Beatles "I've Just Seen A Face" off their Help! album (track 12). 
* The Edward and Tubbs reference belongs to a BBC show called League of Gentlemen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!