Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Sunday, April 29, 2018

I wish my tape player wasn't in storage

I was gifted a box of assorted (1990s and very early 2000s) Rap and Alt Rock CDs last week.

Out of respect to the person who gave me the albums, I'm not going into detail of why I am the proud owner of Compton and Long Beach sounds, but I can say "omg, it brings me back to high school". T, where ever you are, you're missed but your music will live on. ❤✊

Within this carton of memories, there were two cassette tapes. One is "Power Rap" circa 1986, with SuperBowl Shuffle by the Chicago Bears Shufflin' Crew (now straight up... let's be honest... who doesn't remember that happening???) and the second is "New Jack City / Music From The Motion Picture Soundtrack" from 1991 and features the likes of Ice-T and Queen Latifah (in early  / newly minted non group status).

The problem with the first tape is it's not in circulation anymore. The only thing I could find on Amazon was the vinyl edition from a third party seller (It's a used copy to boot. It's raises the question of how 'used'????). eBay doesn't even list it in search results, however Google shows it's there. Clicking the link, it's "sold out" and there's no other information. A site called "discogs" has it (kinda), but it's a marketplace | community and I can not vouch for this site. Honestly, I think this was a one and done type of tape and when the compact discs started taking over the music world, rarities like this went out the wayside.

The second tape is still being produced as Amazon is selling it in various formations - Streaming, MP3, Audio CD, Vinyl and Audio Cassette. All priced "within reason" ($4.89 for cassette to $35 for CD).

I wish I could find my tape player because I would take it out of whatever tote bin it's being stored in, and I'd convert both tapes to MP3 form, to be able to listen in my car. I'm sure the Power Rap tape is a hoot because we all know how awesome stuff was in the 80s. 😂😜

Had I still had my VW, I'd be able to play the tapes because the Golf had a tape player and CD player. Let's face it; I bought the car in 2003 right on the cusp of the end of cassettes being extremely popular. With my (2013) Hyundai Accent, it's CDs or an AUX in port. Plus there's a USB for an MP3 player. I'm lucky there's the CD player because the 2017 Elantra only has the AUX or USB in. Pretty soon those will go away too, I reckon.

Anyway, like Ms. Babs once sang...
Midnight
Not a sound from the pavement
Has the moon lost her memory
She is smiling alone
In the lamplight
The withered leaves collect at my feet
And the wind begins to moan
Memory
All alone in the moonlight
I can smile happy your days (I can dream of the old days)
Life was beautiful then
I remember the time I knew what happiness was
Let the memory live again
Every street lamp seems to beat
A fatalistic warning
Someone mutters and the street lamp gutters
And soon it will be morning
Daylight
I must wait for the sunrise
I must think of a new life
And I mustn't give in
When the dawn comes
Tonight will be a memory too
And a new day will begin
Burnt out ends of smoky days
The still cold smell of morning
A street lamp dies, another night is over
Another day is dawning
Touch me,
It is so easy to leave me
All alone with the memory
Of my days in the sun
If you touch me,
You'll understand what happiness is
Look, a new day has begun

Songwriters: Andrew Lloyd Webber / T.S Eliot / Trevor Nnunn
Memory lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC




Cheers;



Pictures or this whole post is a lie:





See Also (aka "stuff that your parents may appreciate" | "Read, you may like it"):

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!