Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Sunday, May 2, 2021

Flashbacks of coffee shops

I had an awkward incident in a local CVS yesterday.
 
Thinking it through when I got home, as well as telling some of my friends, it brought back a random memory of summer 2011...  when I was in a Dunkies and was part of a conversation (not my doing) about God, jobs and astrological signs. 

Yesterday's weirdness happened to be in the health and wellness section of the store. I happened to be 2 scoops away from finishing a container of Complete Protein & Vitamin Shake Mix Nature’s Bounty Optimal Solutions, with Collagen & Fiber and didn't have anything else in the cabinets. So I needed something to be able to continue using the coconut water with (and have a breakfast replacement). 

I'm standing in the aisle (with my mother), hands full because I didn't grab a cart (these tubs are weird to have to hold and browse the shelves), and I'm knee deep in comparing ingredients of other products. 

Which I ended up getting the vanilla Purely Inspired Organic Protein Powder. Just something else to try, and I actually opened it today. I haven't started it yet, as I needed to finish up the Nature's Bounty first. My first thoughts of this new powder is it's on the matted green side. But light matted green. I wonder what it's going to shake up as, when adding a liquid. It's not a bad color, by any means. It's super light green, so I'm thinking it's all the plant materials as first sniff smells like grass (lol... not pot "grass" but the grass you mow). A wee bit on the plant side, smelly. Like I can almost taste the dirt on the leaves. I don't know why I'm saying this; it sounds like I'm already bringing up negativity to a product I've not tried yet. But "first impressions" are easy to manipulate and remember, right?

Which brings me back to my challenge. 

I'm reading ingredients and some guy comes almost rushing into the aisle. He looks about mid 50s, average build (not fit fit but not totally fat either. Average for his age*). Has two bottles of Alberto VO5 shampoo in his hand. He sees me and my mom, and notices the containers in my hands. Relieved to see someone, he starts asking questions. 

He asks what brands of powder do I take, what brands do I suggest? What do I think about the various ingredients in each bottle and is there really a difference? He goes on, and I'm standing there like "oh wtf". 

I said to him that I use the Nature's Bounty lately as a meal replacement in the morning. I don't eat breakfast, so this is it. I was looking at others to add to the rotation. 

He says his brother gave him some drink the other day and he now wants to try these protein things, but he doesn't want to make it. He wants a grab and go situation and be done with it.... doesn't want to worry about creating a big process. He doesn't plan on replacing a meal every day, that's why he wants a pre-made drink that he can just open up and drink. It'll be like an addition to his day. 

I said that I'm not a doctor or a nutritionist. He really needs to speak to someone else. My mom even piped in and said that these are a meal replacement for me. 

He kept going on about my thoughts over what's on the market and what's good, and I'm still like "#notmyjob". I wanted to say "dude, I'm a fat kid taking supplements I probably shouldn't, but am due to not getting 3 ('square') meals in a day". But I just kept saying to him I don't know much about them. I am not a doctor or a nutritionist. I just look at the labels. 

He kept asking about the differences. The calories, the protein, everything. He was looking at a couple products (the various bottles of protein shakes) and really wanted me to go over them with him in detail. I said "I really don't know. I just use the powder plus coconut water as the base and off I go. You should talk to someone else. Like a nutritionist or a doctor". 

I started walking away. He laughed and said "guess I'm not getting a definitive answer then?". I shook my head and kept walking.

My mom and I get up to the register area and I'm like "that was awkward AF". Her first response was "He was probably trying to hit on you". Gross, mom. Thanks a lot of the confidence and help. Then she said it was weird. But she reiterated the whole "hitting on you" thing. 

Uhm... not interested, thanks!! Way to make me feel even more awkward.

We get to the cashier, I pay, and off we go. 

Needless to say, I had an interesting encounter with a stranger in a store that I just wanted to run in, get what I need, and leave. Never meant to have to have a conversation with someone about nutrition supplements. Again, I'm a fat kid using these powders as a meal replacement in the morning. Don't be looking to me for proper, legit advice. Everyone is different and I'm trying to find what works for me. Yes, I write about them here, because I try them and remark how good/bad/indifferent they are and what I'm finding when I make them. 


Good luck in your health adventures.


Cheers;
















*Yes, I profiled him. BAU here I come. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!