Friendly reminder that comments are welcome, but please don't link to other sites in your text unless it's to your personal (social network) page or relevant to the post. Thank you!

Saturday, May 29, 2021

The opportunity's on

Last night I decided to watch a movie from 1971. A "cult classic", but not in the realm of Rocky Horror "cult classic", but in a more subdued 'not a lot of people know about this', "cult classic".

I decided to watch Harold & Maude, something I've probably talked about before. I keep it in my Amazon Prime Movies watch list (while it's still listed as 'available to watch with Prime') for when I don't feel like digging through my cabinets for the actual DVD. I actually have two DVD copies of this film, as one of them as been watch enough times, the disc is wearing thin. Almost like what we did in the 1980s and 1990s to VHS tapes... watch it enough on the recorder, the magnetic tape tears. 

I like this movie. Partly due to the Cat Stevens music, partly due to the story. It's unapologetic with trying to show two different ways of choosing how you live life and how they can come together and make friends with each other. Harold is obsessed with death and Maude is obsessed with living. They happen to keep finding each other at funerals (because, everyone loves a funeral, right?).




(....... Right???)



So Harold makes friends with Maude over the course of a week (#spoileralert. This movie takes place over the course of a week. It feels like it's longer, but then again, it's a 91 minute film). I don't want to completely put everything on the table for what it's about, but be forewarned: there are great ear worm songs from Yusef Islam (before his conversion) and it does have some drug use, (mild) sexual content, and (mild) violence. I put "mild" in parenthesis because I don't know everyone's level of comfort for a PG movie. Given this movie's context (Harold's infatuation with death and suicide), it can be a trigger movie for those with sensitivities. Also, people might not like it because Harold is 20 years old while Maude is 79 and the age gap is huge for two people to become besties. So people might get a bit squeamish at the relationship. 

If you can manage all of this, then I totally recommend seeing the film. If you can't, well, just chock it up to this: The movie came out in 1971, under different generational / societal norms that we are in today, in 2021. If you can't accept the movie for what it is (face value or not), then you don't need to take any more of my movie reviews and suggestions. If you don't like it, that's fine. If you do like it, awesome. I'll tell you a few more to watch. 

Until the next round of randomness hits, don't be throwing rice at a movie screen too quickly. 


Cheers; 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!